[AZ-Observing] Almost put on impact alert

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:21:23 -0700

Howdy folks;
I saw the link to this story:

it is about the fact that with very few observations there was almost an
announcement made concerning a possible meteoroid collision with Earth.

I am struck by the fact that so little seems to continually be done in this
field.  With a very modest input of funds we could probably do a much better
job of monitoring the assortment of rocks that orbit the Sun with us.  But NO!

What would it take to construct a dozen or so medium sized telescopes around
the world, so that they can't all be clouded out?  Link them up with enough
computer power to keep track of the things that might threaten the Earth with a
collision and start trying to discover more.  It seems such an obvious
solution.  Ah, we are so smart that we let politics and funding stand in the
way of our very survival.

Crazy, man, crazy;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org