[AZ-Observing] Re: Almost put on impact alert

  • From: DBogan3220@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:12:58 EST

You would think that would be true. But you have to ask yourself if we were
given 36 hrs that and half mile wide asteroid was going to hit somewhere in the
northern hemisphere and of course nothing could be done about that. What good
would it do to alert public officials and the general public all you would
incite would be panic and hysteria mostly religious. I think it would be better
to let it hit and deal with the aftermath. Of course I would like to alerted
so I can move all my scope stuff into mountains and be ready for the collapse
of western civilization. :-)
     Clear Skies
     Dwight L Bogan

Steve Coe wrote:
I saw the link to this story:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3517319.stm

What gets me about this is that an astronomer was prepared to call the White
House to warn the President about an asteroid discovered by LINEAR, a U.S.
Air
Force project. Surely in the post-9/11 world, the Air Force has protocols to
keep public officials informed of such things? Right?

Regards,

Bill in Flagstaff