[AZ-Observing] Re: Alaska Sky Photos Posted

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:33:03 -0800

Tom Polakis wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I highly recommend visiting Alaska in early September.  The tourist season
>ends abruptly around Labor Day, and darkness begins to return to the nights.
>It's a pretty brief window, however, before many of the tourist services close.

However, I should add for anyone comtemplating driving up, that I have
been told by a resident of Alaska (who spends time in Arizona), that one
needs to be out of Alaska by the second week of September at the real
risk of being stranded in Alaska the entire winter. This may not be a
hard fast rule and there are probably variations in road conditions from
year to year that may push the leave date to later in the year.
Stan