[AZ-Observing] Re: Vandenberg Rocket Launch

  • From: George Barber <gbarber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:21:44 -0700

Rick,

I had a chance to see this while driving to my home near Kitt Peak.  It was
quite a spectacle to behold!  I said to myself, "Wish I had a camera."  You
did a fantastic job with these photos.

             "Jon Christensen"
             <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
             az-observing-boun         <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             ce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/22/2005 10:53          [AZ-Observing] Re: Vandenberg
             PM                        Rocket Launch

             Please respond to
             az-observing@free
                 lists.org

Rick

Great pictures!  I took a bunch of pictures with my 35mm film camera and
300mm F2.8 lense but I think I 'blew' them all with exposures that were too

short (1/8 sec) and too big a lense.  I will find out tomorrow after I take

the film to Osco.

I suppose it bears (very little) resemblence to a meteor I saw at about
3:00
a.m. the night of the 11th at Vekol through binoculars.  I just happened to

be looking at the belt of Orion when I saw this meteor streak through the
FOV.  Its trail glowed green for several seconds and I watched the smoke
cloud drift slowly northward for about 10 minutes.  Spectacular.

Jon Christensen