[AZ-Observing] A Gift to EVAC and SAC from ASU School of Earth & Space Exploration

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:37:18 -0700

My next door neighbor works at ASU, and recently, they decided to "clean up"
a conference room for remodeling. There was a collection of various text
books, and many reference volumes. It appeared the easiest way to "clean
house" was to dispose of the items. My neighbor know of my involvement with
EVAC, and asked if he could check with us to see if there might be a "good
home" for these items. They thought that would be a good idea, and he
knocked on my door, with a trunk load of precious cargo.

I was able to connect several of the volumes with people working in specific
areas, and thus, some of the material has been disseminated. However, there
are still about 50 volumes (various titles), and several reference volumes.

Included in the reference material are a couple of W.Tirion Sky Atlas
(2000.0) (26 sheets), one Sky Atlas (1950.0) (16 Sheets), a collection of
many sheets of "Star Atlas" from the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
of Reference Stars and Nonstellar Objects, and a Falkauer Atlas
(Photographic Star Atlas).

There are several volumes containing Galaxy surveys, including many, many
images from various observatories.

These volumes are "free to good home" on a "first request" basis. They will
be available to members of both EVAC and SAC, or for that matter, anyone
with a genuine interest in astronomy.

I will have these volumes at the March 18th EVAC meeting, for viewing, and
distribution. If you think you might be interested, but don't want to wait,
you can view and request items from the collection at my home (Tempe, AZ)
prior to then, by appointment please. Any volumes left over will be offered
to the Gilbert Library and/or Tempe Public Library.

David M. Douglass
Cell (602-908-9092)