[AZ-Observing] Re: 486 488 501

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:39:28 +0000

As I understand it, every spot that appears over the limb is assigned a
number.  In this case, 501.  Since we can now monitor the sunspots as they
traverse the back side, we are then able to detect if this spot has made the
trip before, in this case 501=484.  This morning, when I did my sketch, I
did see the next spot group clearly on the limb, though much foreshortened.
It seems likely this spot group is the former 488, since that was the next
strongest group on the last rotation.  The "discrepancy" is, and it is not,
depending on how you look at it, but I'd lean toward the new number, given
when the system was developed we couldn't watch spots traverse the backside,
so it was anybody's guess if the spot had made it all the way around.  My 2
cents.

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman