[AZ-Observing] Re: 486 488 501

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:04:10 +0000

Tom,
  It's done at long wavelengths-namely seismic.  The GONG global network
measures sound waves, yes, sound waves emanating from the Sun.  (Think of
the noise all that boiling plasma makes close up!  Jeez!)   I'm not exactly
sure of the science, but it measures soundwaves bouncing back and forth
across the Sun and uses the doppler shift to detect changing densities
within.  It bounces off denser sunspots differently, causing interference
patterns they can recognize.  You can do a search for GONG and find the
website.  Oh!  Big Bear Solar observatory website has data and a link also.
There's a station on Kitt Peak, right next to the McMath-Pierce too,
opposite the Vacuum Telescope tower.

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman