[AVAPL Members] Re: How to Improve the Implementation of Evidence-Based Psychotherapy in the VA

  • From: "Bateman, Guy D." <Guy.Bateman@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Burk, Jeffrey P." <Jeff.Burk@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:12:40 -0500

Jeff,

I appreciate your encouraging us to participate in these various activities, as
I’ve been trying.  I have a dilemma, however.  How do I get my local management
to support my attending meetings held in remote locations?  I could not get any
financial support to attend this year’s VA Psychology Leadership Conference.  I
was able to get approval for Authorized Absence to attend, but was told that if
I used this leave for this purpose, the AA would not be available for other
continuing education activities.  I’m sorry I missed the Conference this year,
it sounded like it was exceptional, but I ended up using my 40 hours of AA to
attend more local, less expensive CE activities.  I was so discouraged by
management’s lack of support for training that I didn’t even plan to attend the
APA Convention this year.  Any ideas on how to get management to loosen the
purse strings to allow psychologists to attend more of these training and
enrichment activities without further straining our personal budgets?

Thanks in advance.

Guy Dean Bateman, Ph.D.

Lead Clinical Psychologist

Mental Health Service Line

VAMC St. Cloud, MN

320-252-1670 ext. 6205

"A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true."  Martin
Luther King, Jr.