[AVAPL Members] Re: How to Improve the Implementation of Evidence-Based Psychotherapy in the VA

  • From: "Kerns, Robert" <Robert.Kerns@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Adams, Kenneth (Ann Arbor)" <kmadams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "members1@xxxxxxxxx" <members1@xxxxxxxxx>, VHA Psychology Internship Directors <VHAPID@xxxxxxxxxxx>, VHA Psychology Postdoctoral Training Directors <VHAPPTD@xxxxxxxxxxx>, VHA National Psychology Chiefs <VHANationalPsychologyChiefs@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Joan.Zweben@xxxxxxxx" <Joan.Zweben@xxxxxxxx>, "Armstrong, Keith" <Keith.Armstrong@xxxxxx>, "Lemle, Russell" <russell.lemle@xxxxxx>, V21SFC Psychologists <v21sfcpsychologists@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:55:56 -0400

I want to speak out with a voice of strong support for the EBP initiative of
the Office of Mental Health Services.  As a 32 year member of the VA psychology
community, I have long been an advocate for Veterans' access to psychological
treatments for which there is a strong empirical base that supports their
efficacy.  I have been frequently dismayed at the failure of our system to
assure that Veterans with anxiety disorders and depressive disorders, in
particular, are offered behavioral, cognitive-behavioral, and interpersonal
therapeutic interventions for which there is substantial evidence of efficacy,
and even cost-effectiveness.  As a subtext, I'd like to see that this capacity
building effort includes a focus on making these services available to Veterans
as alternatives, and not just as complementary, to pharmacological approaches.
Not surprisingly, I'd like to see a broadening of this initiative to include
other domains of behavioral health, including pain management and sleep
disorder treatment, to name just two examples.

Of course, my strong support of EBM is not to mean that other psychological
interventions with sufficient evidence should not be available.  However, I do
believe that it is critical that our priority be to build our capacity to
assure equitable access for Veterans to those therapies with the strongest
empirical evidence.  I am enthusiastic about the VA's initiatives to expand the
competencies of psychologists and others who can provide these interventions,
and I am appreciative of OMHS's leadership in this regard.

Bob

Robert D. Kerns, Ph.D.
National Program Director for Pain Management, Veterans Health Administration
Director, Pain Research, Informatics, Medical comorbidities, and Education
(PRIME) Center, VA
       Connecticut Healthcare System
Professor of Psychiatry, Neurology and Psychology, Yale University

The PRIME Center/11ACSLG
Bldg 35A, Second Floor
VA Connecticut Healthcare System
950 Campbell Avenue