<USS Avalon> "Unsolved Mysteries"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:30:58 -0800 (PST)

Unsolved Mysteries
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Junior Lieutenant Elijah Dareth

"Come in," Marksbury called out, having been back in her office for some time,
trying to make sense of it all after her encounter with Skyler.

Elijah walked into the room and stood at attention.

"Relax, Elijah.  What's up?"

"I wanted to talk to you about the Manson investigation, ma'am," he said,
moving to sit in the chair across from her desk.

"That investigation is closed."

"I know, but I don't understand why. It just seemed like there were other
avenues we could've explored.  I mean, I did some checking on my own and some
things don't add up."

"I'm aware of it and it's very astute of you, but unnecessary.  The situation
is under control."

"I know.  It says the case is unsolved.  That's not right, we should-"

"Elijah," she cut in.  "I'm well aware of that.  I'm also telling you that the
situation is taken care of.  You are in no way to pursue the matter any
further, is that clear?"

Eli ground his teeth together to bite back his anger before answering.  "Yes,
ma'am."  He didn't like it, not one bit, but he would obey.

"Good.  Was there anything else?"

"Actually, I was wondering what the hell I did to piss you off."

Marksbury looked at him, slightly confused.  "I wasn't aware that I was angry
with you.  Why do you ask that?"

"Because ever since you've been the head of this department, things have been
different."

"A lot of things have happened as of late, Eli.  A lot of them are personal
trials and I haven't been in the best frame of mind..." she sighed.  "You did a
wonderful job on handling security team A during these training exercises.
Even Sierra was pleased. I'm sorry I didn't let you know that sooner."

He seemed to relax just a little.  "Thank you.  I know that it's not my place
and I'm probably way over-stepping my bounds, but... well, if you ever needed
someone to talk to, I'm a really - " he stopped abruptly, looking at her.
"Your nose," he said, rather surprised.

Elissabeth touched her nose, and sure enough, the blood was there again.  She
quickly reached for the tissue on her desk that she'd had to keep on hand more
and more.  Her headache had intensified after the encounter with Skyler and the
inevitable nose bleed sure enough followed.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Eli.  It's just a nose bleed."

"Do you get them a lot?"

"More as of late, but I've seen Cazook.  How much has Melanie told you about
what happened with Skyler?"

"Quite a bit."

"By the look on your face, I can tell that you know she was linking with me
telepathically."

Elijah nodded solemnly.  "Can't say I understand it, though."

"Neither do I, Elijah.  It has some side effects, this being one of them."  She
gestured to her nose.

"But if you're not a telepath, how can you 'link' with one?"

"I wish I knew.  I must be... very receptive to it.  Someone even proposed the
theory that I'm a latent myself.  But I have no psychic abilities whatsoever on
my own.  Skyler isn't the only person that it's happened with."

"Scares you a little, doesn't it?"  As if suddenly realising what he said, he
added, "Don't worry!  I won't tell anybody, I swear.  I just... I can just tell
something isn't right and it feels like maybe you're a little scared."

"The unknown is always a bit frightening, Elijah."

He nodded again, still watching her with intense scrutiny.

"Would you stop staring at me like I'm going to sprout a third eye?"

"Sorry.  I just worry about you.  Elissabeth, you are the only person who saw
anything in me worth giving a damn about when I needed it most.  That means
something to me."

Her eyes softened just a bit.  "Thank you, Elijah.  I appreciate your concern.
I assure you, I have more than enough people watching out for me, besides
myself.  There's nothing to worry about."

He looked skeptical, but agreed to leave it alone.  Standing, he asked, "And
you're sure about the Manson investigation?"

"Drop it, Lt. Dareth," she warned.  "It is taken care of."

"Yes, ma'am.  I'm sorry."

"I'm not angry.  You just have to understand that sometimes... things can't
always be explained through official channels.  Dong ma?"

"I understand."  He turned and left, not certain he was feeling much better.

Elissabeth threw the tissue away and wondered not for the first time if she
were making the right decisions.