<USS Avalon> The next Step

  • From: KARGSuvwltaj@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:15:08 EST

The Next Step

Karg and Kira are enjoying an evening together. It is unusual that their
schedules have them both awake at the same time. At this moment, they are
sitting
on the divan, listening to some Bartok.

Their wedding, eight months ago, was beautiful. Worf had arrived on Earth
with Alexander, Karg's brother K'Ehneth as well as Nerys' family. The ceremony
was held on the estancia where Karg's family live. Dr. Joseph White Feather
performed a traditional Navajo ceremony, with some Bajoran elements after which
the happy couple adjourned to the Hogan.

Situated some 400 meters from the house, the traditional Navajo hand-hewn
structure had been stocked with treats and wines as well as soft drinks. Some
"fake furs" made a traditional looking honeymoon bed. In the morning, breakfast
was waiting on a tray just outside the east facing entrance. It was the custom
to make these efforts a secret so as not to disturb the newly weds however
Karg could taste his mother's cooking and Nerys said the sweets had to be done
by
her father.

Two days in the Hogan were followed by a week on Italy's Amalfi Coast. Whole
towns were built in to the cliffs overlooking the azure waters. It was the
perfect place to enjoy their "happy time".

Some months later, these memories and others are fresh in their minds this
evening as Karg massages Nerys' swollen feet. She is currently convinced that
she is "fat and ugly" and cannot understand why Karg thinks she has never been
more beautiful. When asked if he wanted a son Karg replied that it didn't
matter to him. Actually, he wouldn't mind a daughter at all. He can still
remember
the words of the lyricist Oscar Hammerstein II, "A neat and petite little
tintype of her mother".

The beeping of the view screen breaks their serenity. Incoming is a text
message. Sitting at the desk, Karg reads it with a serious look.
"What is it, Karg?"
"Orders."
"AND!"
"Come read it."

Karg had to help her up so Nerys could pad, barefoot, across the room to the
desk. The message explains that two posts have opened simultaneously, Bajoran
ambassador to Earth and Star Fleet's Liaison Officer to Bajor. They have each
been offered one of the posts. So they will be able to live 6 months on Earth
and 6 months on Bajor.

Karg, do you mind giving up a combat post for a desk job?"
"Not at all dear, my folks aren't getting any younger and we'll have the kids
soon. (Did I just say kids, plural?) I can't think of a better thing to
happen to us. How long do we have?"
"We are ordered to rendezvous with the Yorktown in two days. In the mean time
you are ordered to prepare to brief your replacement, Sr. Lt. Nathan Lone
Eagle, a Navajo from Arizona.

Lt. Cmdr. Karg
Tactical and Covert OPS Officer
USS Avalon