<USS Avalon> "The Lessons We Learn - Part 4 - Motivation"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:52:18 -0800 (PST)

The Lessons We Learn - Part 4
Motivation
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury and Ensign Sussanna Jameson
Featuring Monroe, Fenner, and Harak

Marksbury had been impressed with their improvement at hand to hand unarmed
combat. She called the session to an end at 2100 hours and dismissed everyone
but those she had previously discussed with Monroe.

She stood in front of them and eyed them silently. After a very long moment,
she said, "Congratulations. You?ve walked farther, climbed higher, and reached
for that goal more intensely than the rest of your team mates." There were a
couple smiles all around, but for the most part they just looked exhausted.

Moving to the far edge of one of the padded training mats, she gestured for
them to follow and said, "Sit." They promptly sat cross-legged in a circle
facing her. "Now relax." The shocked looks she received were comical and Lissi
bit back a laugh. She caught herself choking it off and instead laughed out
loud. "No, I haven?t lost my mind," Lissi smiled. "I just didn?t expect to
shock you by telling you to relax. This... is an informal meeting. I just
wanted to talk to you."

The end of her sentence was met with relieved sighs and groans as everyone
stretched their legs out on the mat. She smiled at them once again and then
looked down for a moment, drawing courage for the things she was about to say.

"First, I know it hasn?t been an easy trek to get here, but this officially
marks a milestone in your training. I don?t know how much "easier" things will
get, but they will be more relaxed and different from this point on. Now that
we?ve assembled this group of experts, each a part of the whole, it?s time to
bring us all together into one being. In ?stupid analogy but I can?t think of a
better one? terms, it?s like parts of the body. The arms and legs move and work
separately, yet together, to achieve their goal. To a large degree, that?s what
we need to become."

"Second, I wanted to say how proud I am of all of you. Even though it may not
have seemed it, I was watching and I was praising you. That?s how you got into
this room tonight. I have specific reasons for choosing each one of you... and
I think that it?s time you know what those reasons are." Her words were met
with tired smiles.

Elissabeth turned to look at James on her immediate left. "I chose you, James,"
she began, looking into his eyes, "because of your ability to lead. You know
your team mates and how to read them." She grinned a bit and added, "And you?re
not afraid to tell me when I?m wrong, harshly, but with professionalism."

"Simon, I chose you for your exceptional intelligence. You are able to analyze
a situation incredibly fast and logically form a plan to follow."

"Kyle, I?ve chosen you not only for your technical expertise, but also for your
ability to adapt to any given situation. You think quickly on your feet and
easily change the plans to fit. It?s a valuable skill."

"Sussanna, your willingness to support your fellow team members and your
loyalty to them has not escaped my notice. You choose to follow through with
whatever action you decide to take, despite the odds. Your determination is to
be admired."

Anna grinned to herself, unsure whether to catch Marksbury?s eye. What had just
been said made her feel all warm and cosy. Hmm, you?re an easy bunny to please,
aren?t you sheila?, she thought.

"Stas?ya," Lissi smiled as the girl beamed at her. "Where I am lacking in
motivation, you know how to pick up the slack. Never once did you fail to give
encouragement to your team mates. You have been a ray of sunshine in hard and
dismal days, your enthusiasm has pushed even myself forward."

"John, your compassion is a testament to your character. You truly care about
those around you and they know it. People like you are the glue that holds us
together."

"Way to go, sport!" Anna cried as she warmed up to the whole session.

Giving her a sideways look, John just smiled a little and blushed.

Elissabeth smiled at the two before continuing, "Ffej, though your telepathic
abilities are going to be a great value to this team, I mostly chose you for
your ability to look at the bigger picture and find the greater good. Granted,
the ends don?t always justify the means, but you are one of the few who is
willing to get a little dirty for the cause - even if it means I get called
into someone?s office and chewed out because you used an unauthorized site to
site transport." She gave him a playful scowl and lop-sided grin, pretty sure
he was surprised that she hadn?t called him on it before now.

Turning to the last person in the circle, the one to her right, "And Michael,"
she smiled, "I chose you for your creativity. The crazy, off-the-wall, point of
view that you provide is sometimes exactly what we will need. You refuse to
think inside this specific box of perception and I admire that a great deal.
I?m sure it hasn?t always been considered an attribute... but here, you will
shine for that unique ability."

She looked at them all in turn once more, to see slightly more accepting faces.
"I?m not going to keep you any longer tonight. You have one order to carry out
during your ?off? time." A round of sighs escaped the circle. "Get some sleep.
At least ten hours worth and preferably twelve. That?s it. You?re free to go."
She stood and smiled once more. "Have a good night and I?ll see you at eleven
hundred hours."

Lissi turned quickly and walked to the door of the training room. She did what
James had asked her to. Now, she just had to wait and see if it worked, or if
it was already too late.

http://mail.yahoo.com