<USS Avalon> "In Need of Answer's" Jr Lt Georgia Lewis & Lt. First Class Melanie Redgrave

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:08:05 EST

"In Need Of Answers"
Jr Lt Georgia Lewis & Lieutenant First Class Melanie  Redgrave

Georgia had been sitting in her quarters for several hours in the dark. She
felt so utterly helpless and to blame for Cmdr Skyler's current condition. She
 didn't know what to think when Lt. Marksbury had told her that Ms. Skyler
didn't  even know who she was. She didn't understand how after all their years
together  that she would not know her. There was a great deal she didn't
understand and  even more that she didn't know how to fix.

The more Georgia thought about it the more she felt like she needed to talk
to someone. The question was who? The first name that came to mind was Ms.
Melanie.. Perhaps she will talk to me. Georgia stood up and put on the sweater
that Ms. Melanie had given her and after taking a deep breath, made her way to
 Ms. Melanie's room. Once outside she rang the chime and waited for an
answer.

Time had had no meaning for Melanie as she sat at her deck looking over
volumes and volumes of medical text. She wanted to find anything that would
help
Skyler and keep herself busy. Her door chime rang just as the words on her
screen were becoming on large mass. Getting up from her chair, Melanie
stretched
 as she called out, "Come."

As the doors opened Georgia was standing there with her  head
hanging down. She heard Ms. Melanie tell her to enter so she slowly made  her
way into the young woman's quarter's. "Ms. Melanie, I's aint botherin ya  now
am I?"

A bright smile quickly danced across Melanie's face and she suddenly didn't
look so tired. "Of course not, Georgia. Please come in and make yourself at
home. Can I get you something? A spot of tea perhaps?"

Georgia walked further into the room and sat down on the edge of the  closest
chair. "Tea would be jest fine Ms. Melanie, Thank You." Looking over at  her
desk Georgia saw all the books out and wondered what she was reading. "Did I
disturb your reading, cause ifn I did I's can always come back? I don't want
to....be a burden to you. I's know you is going half crazy over Ms. Skyler so
ifn you need to be alone I's will understand."

After putting on the tea kettle, Melanie walked over and sat on the coffee
table in front of Georgia. Taking the older woman's hands in her own, Melanie
smiled up at her. "You could never be a burden to me, Georgia, your my family
now." Melanie paused a moment and then looked over at the books. "I was
trying  to find something about this coma of Skylerâs. I'm sure it's nothing
Cazook
 hasn't already looked into but I needed to do something."

Georgia looked up at Melanie and paused for a moment. "Ifn Is didn't know
better, I'd say you was the spitting image of your mama at your age. I just
wish
 there was sumthin I could do, I's feel as ifn it's all my fault. I shouldn't
a  kept the promises and secrets,  it just tain't right to keep stuff like
that from someone, now see what has happened 'cause I didn't tell nobody. I
just  don't know what to do. That Lt. friend of Ms. Skyler's says that she
doesn't  even know who I am. How can that be?" Tears started to fall down her
face
and it  took all she had not to just get up and leave.

Fishing a white lace handkerchief out of her pocket, Melanie handed it to
Georgia. "You did just what Celeste wanted, Georgia." Melanie said softly. "You

can't blame yourself for that. Elissabeth will help Skyler and things will be
 fine. She just needs time to heal. Losing, losing her mother and Sunni was
hard  on her and she's been hiding from that pain for a long time."

"But what ifn she doesn't want to see me no more? Yous and I both know  Sunni
ain't dead, cause I's is looking at her. I need to be able to help but I's
dun't know how. What should I do?"

Melanie walked over and quickly set about making tea. When she came back  she
handed one to Georgia. "You do what you've been doing since she was little.
You be there for her wither she realizes she needs you to be or not."

Georgia took the tea which felt warm in her hands. She hadn't realized how
much she had been shivering. She lifted the delicate tea cup to her lips and
took a small sip. "This here tea is jest wunderful. What kind is it? Is it one
of those English teas?" Georgia took another sip and contemplated what to say
 next. "Ms. Melanie, can I's ask you a question?"

Melanie sipped at her own tea. "It's Vulcan actually. A gift from old
girlfriend.. And you can ask me anything, Georgia."

Georgia wasn't sure how to ask what she wanted to know. "Was you ever  afraid
you would never find Ms. Skyler? I mean what made you want to find her so
bad? Can't you help that Lt. person to help her?" The biggest question still
weighed heavily on her mind. "Uh.....Ms. Melanie......how can yous think of me
as family after what I's dun?" She was actually afraid to hear the answer but
she needed to know.

"I grew up in a good home, Georgia. You should know that... But, I've  always
had this sense that something was missing." Melanie started as she looked
down into her cup. "I never understood it until I found out I was adopted.
That's why I came looking for Skyler." Looking up at the woman across from her,

Melanie did her best to answer the next question. "I don't know if I can help.
I  didn't know I had Betazoid blood in me till I found out about Celeste.
Besides,  Skyler turned to Elissabeth not me." The last question was easier.
"Your
my  family Georgia because you love me and I love you too. None of this is
your  fault."

Georgia stood up abruptly and started to pace around Melanie's quarters.
"But dun't you see it? It is all my fault. Ifn I'd told Ms. Skyler the truth
from the start then none of this would be happening. I know she woulda come
lookin for you, that's how she is. One stubborn woman. Guess that's my fault
too,
seeing hows I raised her to be independent. I jest need to do sumthing and  I
can't take sitting around all day wundering." The more Georgia paced the more
 agitated she became, she hadn't been this upset since her Henry had
passed."I  jest screwed up everthin I was tryin to protect and for that I's is
so
sorry."

Melanie got up and stepped in front of Georgia. She grabbed hold of the
woman's shoulders and looked her in the eyes. "You didn't screw anything up,
Georgia. If you had told her you could have done some real damage, you know
that,
your a nurse who raised a partly telepathic child. Beating yourself up  isn't
helping and it's likely to piss Skyler off when she wakes up."

Georgia knew Melanie was right. "Ms. Melanie, Sunni, I has one more  question
for you?"

Sunni.. Melanie kinda liked hearing Georgia call her that. "What's that
Georgia?"

Georgia hesitated a moment then softly asked, "Could I stay here with you
tonight? I dun't feel like being alone."

"Your more then welcome to stay with me as long as you need to, Georgia."
Melanie answered as she closed the steps between them and hugged the  woman.