<USS Avalon> The Doctors come marching...

  • From: FelicityRoanMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:55:09 EST

The Doctors come marching...
a log by
Felicity Roan, Varian Draal and Ral Dikkon

Felicity had just returned to her seat and re-read her PADDs on the
in-coming staff and realized that in addition to three doctors, she was also
due  a
Medical Technican, Siobhan Finkelstein and a Physical Training &
Rehabilitation
Consultant, Camdell Loyen.  When it rains, it pours.   She quickly sent off a
thank you note to the Captain for ensuring her department  was so
well-staffed.  A part of her wanted to add a sarcastic question  at the bottom
about what
the next mission might hold that she was given all this  staff, but she
didn't want to appear ungrateful and refrained.  Now, aside  from the one
Assistant
Medical Officer she'd met, it was a matter of them all  checking in alive and
well.

========= ~~~~ ========== ~~~~ ========== ~~~~~

Ral looked at the Docking Port assignment and let out a loud sigh.   Here it
was, USS Avalon in all her glory, just waiting for him to report.   His other
assignment was secondary, yet it screamed out in his mind "Protect  Felicity
Roan. Her life is as valuable as mine.  Treat her like you'd  treat me."
Sebastian had a penchant for the dramatic flair, so Ral  believed that they
just
wanted him to go sow some oats and get what was known as  "Field Experience".
This was commonly also called, "We aren't sure  what else to do with you right
now, so we'll send you somewhere else while we  come up with something
interesting for you to do later.  So have fun with  that and oh by the way,
we'll
make it sound terribly interesting so you won't  snore loudly and disturb the
neighbors."  Seven of these assignments  were already under Ral's belt, even in
his short tenure.

The security officer smiled as he handed out his orders.  "Good  morning
Doctor Dikkon.  Doctor Roan is already aboard and has asked that  you report
directly to her when you arrive.  I'll take your things and  ensure they are
delivered to your quarters.  You'll be sharing with another  new doctor for the
first few months.  I believe Doctor Draal is his  name.  Do you know him?"

Ral thought for a moment and shook his head.  "I'm afraid I don't, but  given
that we'll be roommates, I'm sure I will soon enough."  He offered  his best,
"I really don't want to make small talk with you smile" and  hope that it
sufficed.

"Very well.  On behalf of the Security team, welcome aboard and we  look
forward to working with you."  He handed Ral back his orders and  reminded him
about the wall maps for directions to Medical.  He genuinely  seemed nice
enough.
 Now, would they all be?

========= ~~~~ ========== ~~~~ ========== ~~~~~

Varian frowned and reminded himself of why he had requested the  transfer.
On their orders, not his request.  If he had his  drothers, he'd be sitting on
Risa sipping Garanian Punch and being fed Risan  grapes.  One more mission.
He studied his transfer paperwork and then  his orders.  Terminate the Chief
Medical Officer of the USS Avalon.   Not to appear like a true murder and not
be done immediately.  Not to be  done while in Alpha quadrant space.  Well,
they certainly didn't want much  did they?  Why didn't they just say that he
had to do it while hopping on  one foot and juggling a Klingon Tiger?  He
frowned more and just  sighed.  He reminded himself of why he did this.  For
the
thrill and  excitement of the job.  On some level, Varian enjoyed the kill.
But
not today, today he enjoyed the company of the female he was with and Shore
Leave.

He sauntered up to the Security officer and presented his orders.   "Good
afternoon Lieutenant.  I'm Doctor Varian Draal.  It's nice to  meet you.  I've
been looking forward to this assignment and the Avalon came  so highly
regarded,
I requested it."  The artifical weather and sun  reflected off his teeth and
smooth scalp.

"Ahh, Doctor Draal.  It's nice to meet you as well.  Doctor Roan  has
requested that you meet her in Medical as soon as you arrive and I'll ensure
your
baggage is sent to your quarters straightaway. Your roommate, Ral Dikkon,  was
just here a few moments ago.  I'm sure you'll meet him in Medical as  well."

A... roommate?  But.. I'm a Junior Lieutenant, thought  Varian.  Tis the
price one pays for being low doctor on the Medical food  chain.  He nodded and
smiled, "Yes, I look forward to meeting him.  So  what's the low-down on him?"
Varian joked to the Security officer.

"Ahh, he seemed like a nice gent.  If you hurry you can probably catch  him
now.  Again, welcome aboard Doctor on behalf of the Security  team."

Varian smiled one last time and made his way to Medical, wanting to see  this
Felicity Roan and his new roommate.  A roommate was going to make this  more
challenging and a Medical Officer for a roommate, doubly so.

========= ~~~~ ========== ~~~~ ========== ~~~~~

Felicity stood when the door opened and peeked out to see one of the other
two Assistant Medical Officers.  As she went to present herself, the door
opened and the last of the three arrived as well.

"Well, this will make introductions quite efficient.  Good afternoon  Doctor
Draal and Doctor Rikkon.  I am Felicity Roan.  I'm sure you  both must be
exhausted from your journeys here.  You've just missed Doctor  Ngaio, who has
also
joined us.  He'll be back in a while, and you can meet  him then.  Doctor
Draal for the time being, given your experience, you'll  be in charge of triage
and emergency medicine.  Doctor Rikkon, given that  you're still new to working
aboard a ship, I'd like you to shadow both Doctor  Draal, Nurse Lewis and
myself for the next few months to ensure that you get a  rounded presentation
of
how things work.  Nurse Lewis has served aboard the  Avalon since I arrived
and knows the department very well.  She'll probably  have a few shortcuts and
trade secrets you might be able to bribe her  for."  Felicity tried to joke.

Felicity presented the Department to them with a brief tour as she had done
for the other doctor and again, spoke fairly rapidly due to her own work that
needed tended.  After that, she dismissed them both for a while to unpack
and get to familiarize themselves with the ship and policies.

========= ~~~~ ========== ~~~~ ========== ~~~~~

Varian studied Felicity.  Seemed harmless enough, why want her  dead?  No
matter, he had his orders. Another assignment that would be  fairly easy.
Sizing
up his roommate, he looked physically weaker, so  should the need arise to
subdue him, no concerns there either.  Varian  refrained from yawning and
instead tried flattery.  "Well, Doctor Roan, I'm  glad to have finally been
assigned
to the Avalon.  My request took forever  to process."

Felicity nodded and smiled and headed back to her office.

Harmless indeed.

========= ~~~~ ========== ~~~~ ========== ~~~~~
Ral looked around medical and studied nooks and crannies.  Anything  that
could be an advantage or disadvantage in case of attack or ambush.   He'd
definintely relish the shadow time to make sure he knew Felicity's schedule
well
enough to be around when the time arrived.  Hopefully it would  arrive.

His roommate seemed nice enough.  He didn't smell bad and Ral knew  that
Bolians didn't really have annoying habits and ate food that was  tolerable.
It
did find it odd that he got no emotional or telepathic  reading from him, but
chalked it up to the nerves that were evident in the room  and during their
encounter.  Ral had been doing this long enough to not  invade and would
respect
Varian's zone of privacy.

This assignment would be a refreshing change of pace he sensed.

If only the other knew.... if only Felicity  knew....