<USS Avalon> "Meet and Greet"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:28:03 -0800 (PST)

Meet and Greet
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Ensign Ffej Harak

Ffej materialized on the transporter pad, and stepped down. "Ensign," he
glanced down at the PADD with his orders. "Where can I locate a Senior
Lieutenant Marksbury?"

After receiving the information from the ensign, Ffej exited the transporter
room and started exploring the corridors. Several minutes and many, many
corridors, plus a few lifts later, he reached his destination. He quickly
adjusted his uniform and signaled the chime to alert his arrival.

Marksbury looked up from her console. Her chime had been ringing more and more
lately as the new crew began arriving. Standing, she moved around her desk and
said, "Enter."

The door opened and he stepped in. "Ms. Marksbury? I'm Ensign Ffej Harak,
reporting for duty, Ma'am." He held out the PADD with his orders.

"Ensign Harak," she nodded. "I am Lieutenant Marksbury." She placed emphasis on
the lieutenant, not feeling it was appropriate for him to use such a
familiarity as Ms., but she didn't want to begin their first meeting with a
reprimand, either. Elissabeth held out her hand to shake Harak's and then took
his PADD. Moving back around her desk, she said, "Have a seat, Ensign."

He blinked. "I'm sorry Lt. I meant no offense." He sat in the offered seat.
Damn, first day and already crossed a line I hadn't anticipated.

"None taken, Mr. Harak," she smiled. "Could you pronounce your first name for
me again? I don't think I quite caught it."

He suppressed the usual smile from the normal reaction when people first heard
his name. "Yes, Ma'am. It's Ffej. Ff Ea jsh. It's fairly common that people
have a hard time with it."

She smiled wider, "I have to say it's not one I've heard before. But it's nice.
I just didn't want to take a chance on giving it a ridiculous interpretation."
She shifted in her seat. "So, Mr. Harak, tell me what it is you bring to the
Avalon."

"Well, during the academy I majored in security, hand to hand combat training,
in-ship tactical combat, with a minor in shuttle piloting. I was stationed here
as one of your assistants in covert ops and tactical. My being full Betazoid
will grant me the edge in covert ops missions." He looked at her and smiled.

Harak had a nice smile, she thought, rather charming.  She'd bet money that
he'd be good at diplomatic negotiations - or talking his way out of a sticky
situation. "Any advantage is good. I see here that you have studied martial
arts rather intensely. It's a slight obsession of mine. How long have you
studied?"

"I studdied the arts for many years.  My mother started me on it when I was
still in Primary school.  Before I joined the Academy I had devoted all my free
time in the Holo-suites working with tournament simulations. Which is how I
earned this scar." Ffej traced the line from his ear to his left jaw line.
"Wasn't too obsessed with it, but I had my moments..."

"I'm glad to hear it, Mr. Harak.  Not the injury, of course, but your interest
in the arts.  I've often looked for someone to train with who could possibly
match my skill level.  I began at the age of four and have remained rather
dedicated.  In fact, I have a program you may be interested in."  Pausing a
moment, she added with a grin, "I've yet to beat it."

He grinned in return. "Sounds fun."

Handing him a PADD, Marksbury told him, "Here is your assignment and training
schedule for the upcoming week.  As you know, you are going to be dually
assigned in Tactical and Covert Ops, just like Lt. Monroe.  I believe he's your
immediate supervisor, but you'll have to check with Lt. Karg for that.  We
begin training very soon.  I apologise for the... lack of time to get situated
on the Avalon before your training begins.  However, with so many new covert
ops officers, I'm pushing it so that we will be ready for anything that comes
our way."

"You're the boss, Boss," he smiled.

Lissi chuckled slightly and stood, "Thank you for coming by, Ensign.  It was a
pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure was mine, Lt."  Ffej turned and walked out the door in search of
his new quarters.