<USS Avalon> "A Friend in Need"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:29:58 -0800 (PST)

A Friend in Need
By Commander Skyler and
Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury

17:30.  Looking at her wrist chronometer, Lissi sighed.  She had done it again,
chained herself to her desk working on these training simulations.  She stood
and stretched, realizing she had been sitting way too much lately and how much
she was looking forward to getting out there and moving with the team.  She
hadn't spent enough time in the gym, either.  "Desk job is making you soft,
Liss," she could still hear James teasing her from their little ski trip in the
holodeck.

It had sure taken her long enough to get the hang of skiing and she fell down a
lot - too much for someone who takes a small measure of pride in her agility.
But Lissi never backed down from a challenge and she intended to try again as
soon as she could get away.  And then she intended to design something just as
difficult for James to adapt to for a little payback.

The thought made her smile.  His presence in her life had definitely been
unexpected, but very pleasant.  She still felt somewhat giddy around him and
didn't think she'd ever tire of the feeling.  James was busy that evening,
however, and it somewhat saddened her.  Not that it was something she liked to
admit.

Lissi returned to her quarters and changed into civies.  The first time that
she had put on this Starfleet uniform, she remembered how confining and itchy
it felt.  Now it seemed odd to wear anything else.  She decided to call upon
Skyler and see if she'd like to have dinner that evening.  They hadn't spent
much time together, and though their friendship was still intact, it was nice
to spend the occasional evening chatting with her mentor, of sorts.  Skyler had
been the one to offer her a new life.  And Lissi wasn't going to forget it.

She didn't bother calling first, as her and Skyler had an open door policy with
each other.  That is - anytime they could catch the other one.

She stood outside Skyler's quarters and pressed the chime.

Skyler had finished her meditations and had just called for her yeomen to find
Georgia so that perhaps she could start to get things straightened out in her
head. She had yet to actually meet this yeomen of hers, as she had rarely used
the one she had previously had, so she was beginning to pace around the room
when she heard the door chime. She fully expected it to be this "Mia" or
Georgia so she yelled at the door to "Open."

She had her back to the door when she heard the door open and was ready to yell
at whoever was standing behind her. "It's about time..." Skyler turned around
and saw Lissi standing there, "Uh you will have to excuse my yelling. I was
expecting someone else. So what brings you to this neck of the woods?" Now
Skyler felt really bad about yelling at her friend. Was her life in such
turmoil that she didn't have common sense to look before yelling...

Lissi smiled, though concern was etched on her face.  "Am I interrupting
something?"

"No, no, I just thought you were someone else. Trust me it's nothing that can't
wait. I'm sure the other person isn't in too big a hurry to see me anyway. So
what's new with you other than your promotions? Haven't seen much of you around
lately. Someone got your heart have they?"

Lissi laughed and blushed slightly.  "Am I that transparent?"  She came on into
Skyler's quarters and made herself comfortable.  She missed talking with
Skyler.  "So, tell me what's got you all riled up," she said quietly.

Skyler walked over to the replicator and replicated two drinks, then sat down
next to her friend, handing her one. "I wouldn't say that you are transparent,
just that you have a twinkle in your eye. So tell me all about him and don't
leave out any details." Skyler hoped that by getting Lissi to talk about
herself, she could avoid talking about her own problems. Hopefully, it would
work.

"And now you're the one being transparent, my friend."  Turning to face Skyler,
she said, "I'll tell you what you want to know about James... but you have to
tell me what's bothering you as well.  I haven't seen you this agitated
since... well, since you were tied up on the floor and trying to provoke me
when the Tempest's crew invaded the Avalon."

Skyler leaned forward with her elbows on her knees and her drink shaking in her
hands. She didn't know what to do or to say. She knew she could trust Lissi,
but she didn't know if she was ready to talk about it all.

"I'm not sure where to start or what to say or for that matter if any of it is
real....or if my mind is starting to go from too many wipes or failed wipes."
Skyler was really shaking now and she didn't know how to stop it.  She tried
some of the breathing techniques Moreya had taught her but nothing was working.
"Lissi, I don't know what to do. For the first time in my life I am not in
control, other than with the Tempest, and I don't know what to do."

"First of all," Lissi said, removing the cup from Skyler's hands, "you need to
calm down.  You know as well as I do that you can't accomplish anything if you
lose control.  You're letting your emotions get the better of you, Skyler.
You're better than that.  Lean back, close your eyes, and breath.  Will
yourself to be still.  I've seen you do it before."  She spoke gently and calm,
truly trying to bring Skyler around.

"You don't understand! No one does! I've tried all that and it doesn't help.
NOTHING!" Skyler got up and started to pace around the room. She made her way
to her desk where she found her stash of Pepsi and behind it a bottle of "real"
rum.  She poured some into the glass and gulped it down. "This may be the only
thing that will help. I've got at least three hours until the entire crew has
to be back on board, I figure by then I shouldn't have a care in the world."

Skyler poured herself another drink and downed it just as fast as the other
one. It burned going down but it took her mind off of other things.

Standing, Lissi marched over to Skyler.  "That's about enough of that.
Self-pity does not become you.  You can stand there and say 'oh, no one
understands!' but when someone is trying to and you decide to go hide in a
bottle... Well, it's completely wrong and you know it.  Believe me.  I made the
mistake." Taking the bottle from Skyler, Lissi took her by the hand and pulled
her back to the sofa.

Lissi continued, "I'm sorry that my words are harsh.  I just can't sit here and
watch you make mistake after mistake in your attempts to correct... something.
Dammit, Skyler, just talk to me and tell me what's wrong."  Her voice had
actually risen a notch or two and Skyler hadn't seen her that passionate about
anything ever before.

Skyler just looked at Lissi as if in shock. "What makes you think you can do
anything to help? When was the last time you were suddenly told you had a
sister you don't even remember, or the person you trusted the most knew all
this and neglected to tell you? My whole life has been one F-ing lie after
another. So don't sit there so self righteous and tell me you know what I am
going through!"

Lissi spoke in a near whisper.  "I said no such thing, Skyler."

Skyler looked at her for a moment with tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry Lissi. I'm
so... so...sorry for everything." She turned away and stood up as if to start
pacing again but turned again to look at Lissi. As she did, her eyes rolled up
into her head and the last word Skyler uttered was, "Melanie." Next thing Lissi
knew, Skyler was falling toward her with arms flailing.

Instantly on her feet, Lissi caught her friend in her downward arc, easing her
to the floor.  Tapping her com-badge, she called, "Medical emergency in the
first officer's quarters. I need a doctor."

Lissi remained calm, checking her friend's vitals.  Skyler's breathing was
okay, but her pulse was off the charts.  Smoothing the hair back from the older
woman's face, Lissi whispered, "It's gonna be okay. I'm here, Skyler.  We'll
work on this together, okay?  Just stay with me."  She sighed, looking towards
the door, willing the medics to arrive faster.  "Stay with me..."