<USS Avalon> "Super Maggie"

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:36:35 -0500

*Super Maggie*
*Melanie Redgrave, Vevay Davis, Maggie Stewart, Patrick McEntire, Josh and
Annabelle Garrity*

 Sitting on the couch in living room, Melanie smiled as she went through the
lastest package from her mother. Fresh tea, her favorite chocolates, more
vid-solids with the lastest football matches, and a very tiny red Man Utd.
kit from her Uncle Spencer which caused her to laugh aloud.

"What's so funny, love?" Vevay called as she sauntered in.

Melanie held up the tiny shirt, shorts, socks, and the worlds smallest part
of football boots.

"CUTE!" Vevay cried, giggling loudly.

"Och, bonny wee booties!" Maggie beamed as she bustled over.

"My Uncle's addtion to her ever growing wardrobe. She's not even born yet
and she's more clothes then me." Melanie laughed as she tried to streach out
some of the pain in her back.

"Let me massage it for you, love," Vevay said as she moved behind Mel.

Melanie sighed as she felt Vevay's hands on her back. "I'd been hoping to
skip this part." Closing her eyes as the pain eased she asked, "So how's it
feel to be out and about, Maggie?"

Maggie coughed, suddenly embarrased at being an intrusion. "Bonny. It's like
being real for once, not just a figment of someone's imagination."

"I don't think you've ever been a figment of Vevay's imagination." Melabie
softly as she opened her eyes and looked at the older woman. "You've been to
me."

"Been what, quine?" Maggie asked, still deeply uncomfortable.

"Real." Malenie answered. She didn't like the look in the older woman's eyes
and looked over her shoulder at Vevay for a moment before looking back at
Maggie. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No," Maggie said stiffly. "Look, I'll leave the pair of you alone."
Fingering her badge, a thought came to her. "I've got someone I want to
thank."

Melanie strugged to get off the couch and ended up needing Vevay's help, but
once she was on her feet she walked over to Maggie and hugged her. "I'm
sorry if I've upset you."

"It does'nae matter, quine," Maggie said softly, hugging the woman in
return. "Sit yersel back doon. Go on..."

"Are you sure you want to go alone? Vevay and I could come with you if you'd
like." Melanie offered, feeling really bad about how Maggie was feeling.

"Nope, I'll be fine." A light was coming on in Maggie's eyes as she headed
for the door. "I'm going to hug an engineer."

Melanie blinked. "Hug an enginner?" She asked as the door closed and she
turned to look at Vevay.

Vevay just shrugged, totally perplexed by Maggie's reaction. "Maybe she
wants to thank Ensign Garrity properly."

Maggie practically bounced down the corridor, headed straight for
Engineering. Now what had that girl said her name was? Garrity... Poking her
head into Main Engineering, she accosted the first person she saw. "I'm
looking for a man called Garrity," she said.

Mac looked at the woman before him and grinned. "He's on a call right now,
ma'am. Want to wait in his office?"

"Aye, that'd be grand," Maggie chimed, beaming up at the tall blonde. "They
mack engineers bonny these days."

Mac's grin broadened at that. "Not so bad yourself," he winked, offering her
his arm.

Taking the profered arm, Maggie chuckled. "Aye, I'm no that bad fer an auld
wifie."

"Old wife my a...er...," he caught himself and laughed.

"Ye dinnae think I'm auld?" Maggie peered up at the young man, smiling into
his hazel eyes.

"No, why. Do you think you are?" Mac asked, kissing her upon the cheek.

Maggie blushed brightly then noticed his ring and blushed even more. "Yer a
charmer, aren't ye? Be glad I am sae auld, or yer wife'd be fairly miffed
wi' ye, I'm sure."

"Nah, I'm allowed to flirt with all the gorgeous women I like, so long as
that's as far as it goes." he answered with a smile.

Snorting softly in amusement, Maggie rolled her eyes. "I dinnae think I'd
want tae be married to one so pretty. Never know when another will turn yer
head too far."

Mac roared. "Never happen. You ever see my wife, you'll see why." more
seriously, he added. "She really is perfect."

"A perfect woman? Aye, I can believe that: perfect fer you. No fer anybody
else though." Maggie patted his hand and gave him a grin. "Now, where's this
Garrity chappie? I've got tae give him a hug."

Mac's eyes went wide and he laughed hard at that. "Hug Josh? Oh, Lord!" his
eyes began to water. "This I've got to see..."

"Why? Is he no the hugging type?"

Mac shook his head, still laughing. "no worries, eh. Type or not, he
needs'em worse than anyone I've ever met, so you go right ahead. I'm sure
he'll love it."

"He'd better," Maggie laughed brightly. "I'm the hugging type, I hug anyone
and everyone. Just ask my neice, Lieutenant Davis."

"Ah, you're Vevay's Aunt Maggie, then? I heard he was working on getting you
out of the box." Mac grinned. "No wonder you're wanting that hug. He outdid
himself. You seem pretty damned huggable to me."

"Och, fer that, you get one too." Wrapping her arms around his waist, Maggie
squeezed Mac tightly then let him go. "See? Huggable!"

He hugged her back easily, still grinning. "Oh, yeah. Damned huggable. Give
us another!"

Giggling, Maggie did just that and cuddled him. "Lovely man that yer are."

"Right back at ya," he answered, then nodded toward the main doors. "See the
tall kid just walked in?"

"The one that looks like he could do wi' a month's worth o' hot meals all at
once?"

Mac nodded. "yeah, well...he's not exactly the snacking type. Hell, he's not
even the eating type. My mom's always trying to feed him up."

"We'll have to see what Auntie Maggie can do aboot that then," she said, the
challenge already lighting her eyes. "Fit like lune," she called to the man
who'd designed her badge.
       Josh shrugged noncommitally in response to her question while
muttering a barely audible "excuse me". He stepped past her toward the work
-orders,noting the new ones in his box.

Walking in behind her husband, Annabelle smiled brightly at the
holo-woman."Maggie! It's good to see you. How do you feel? Nothing's wrong I
hope."
Josh's brows shot up quickly beneath unruly dark curls as he shot a glance
back in their direction. This was Maggie? He almost smiled at that. The
holo-emitter worked better than he'd expected, then. He'd smelled the scent
of lavender and lilacs, felt the warmth of her skin as he'd passed her. He'd
have never known she was a hologram had Annabelle not spoken. She seemed, in
every way, perfectly real.
 "So what do you think, Josh? The emitter works perfectly doesn't it?"
Annabelle asked. "Maggie this," She watched Josh keep walking and laughed.
"That is my husband, Joshua."
 "Yeah, she came to see you, Bean. Slow up and say a proper hello, now." Mac
grinned, waiting to see her follow through with her plan. He'd give almost
anything to see his friends face when she did.
 Maggie grinned brightly. "Come here, ya sweet wee mannie." With that, she
bounced up and wrapped her arms around him in a deep hug.
 Josh stiffened, his whole body going rigid at the unexpected touch and he
looked to Annabelle for help. What was he supposed to do? Slowly, awkwardly,
he patted her on the back, his glance at his wife pleading for assistance.
 Annabelle's eyes went wide and she tried hard not to giggle.
 "There now," Maggie chimed as she let him go. "You did a good job on me,
lad."
 Not sure what to say, Josh simply nodded, blushing bright crimson. Seeing
from their expressions that more was expected he found his voice at last and
managed a quiet "thank you..?"
 "That's what she's trying to say, Josh." Annabelle smiled as she came
closer to them. "For setting her up with the emitter. She'll get to help
with the Redgrave baby now."
 "Maybe the Mac's too," Mac chimed in. "Every kid should get a hug like that
at some point in their lives, don't you think, Bean?"
 "uh...sure...okay.." Josh answered uncertainly. "I guess so..."
 Mac laughed. "I know so."
 Josh nodded again, returning his attention to Maggie. "Welcome aboard," he
said finally, very gently in his typically quiet tones, the slightest of
smiles upon his lips. Gathering the next round of work orders quickly then
he headed back to work.
 "Shy one, isn't he?" Maggie mused.
 "Lady, you have no idea." Mac agreed, grinning. "He's better than he
was,though, believe it or not. Marriage has helped."
 "Aye, marriage'll do that to a man," Maggie chuckled. "My Tom was an awfie
shy wee bunny until he met me. Totally changed him, I did. Made him the
chatterbox of the town."
 Annabelle laughed as she fell against Mac. "Could you see Josh as the
chatterbox of the ship?"
 "I don't see us getting him that far along, but at least you get more than
just a nod or a shrug now. That's something." Mac told her, with a wink to
Annabelle. "Fact is, that was downright chatty for Joshua."
 "Well I think he's perfectly sweet." Maggie reached over and gave Annabelle
a tap on her arm. "You keep him, he's a good catch."
 Annabelle smiled. "Don't worry I'm not letting him go. I nearly lost him
once, I won't go through that again."
 "I wouldnae... he's a good man and those are hand to come by," Maggie said
sagely, her bright blue eyes lifting to Mac's. "I'll tell your wife the
same, lad."
 "Thank you kindly, ma'am," Mac laughed. "It'll be nice to have her hear it
from someone else besides me now and again."