<USS Avalon> Rule of Acquisition #285: No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished (Conclusion)

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:30:29 -0700 (PDT)

Rule of Acquisition #285: No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished (Conclusion)

by Lieutenant First Class Alder Shimbrodus

Alder looked across the conference table for the second time. He had quite a
bit to say, and hoped to get it settled quickly. Unfortunately, while yesterday
went his way, it wasn?t Henry that didn?t accept his proposal, it was the other
man who decided to back out of the offer. With the spot free for the taking,
Alder had no one to turn to, and it proved a serious dilemma for a few hours as
he feverishly thought of any new possible candidates. One came up, and that one
would win in some way or form.

He didn?t want Torien lording it all over the place. Which was why he decided
yesterday if she was to be the next in line, the most logical and practical
choice, he was going to make some conditions to her new position. He thought
about them, placed it on a padd for his memory, and wondered if there was
anything good about picking her. There was one. She was eager, she is more than
ready. So it was two, big difference, Alder said to himself.

The meeting had started late afternoon, or morning in Denevan standard time.
The same or similar attire was worn by everyone. All business like but varying
in colors. As he entered the holodeck, Capelan had informed him of the
signatures signed the previous day. They were official, and with some minor
changes for the would-be assistant, everything would be done.

He smiled, for no apparent reason, "well, I suppose we?re all eager to get
under way. The art of fancy speeches has decline with the increasing amount of
stress, so I will state this simply. I will not be running the company- as you
well know. I?m not qualified. And as of this morning, oh-seven-hundred hours,
Andrew Capelan is now officially in charge of the Shimbrodus Company. That
said, he is also the new leader to this group. But he has also made a point to
let me know that he cannot run the company by himself. Which is what brings me
to a third order of business I wish to end before I place my signature and
resign everything to Capelan." He took the padd in front of Capelan.

"Which is? You?ve already won, are you going to bore us with some sort of
technical business maneuver, especially since it has nothing to do with Avtek
anymore." Torien said, uninterested.

Alder smirked, "so you don?t want the job that would place you next to him."

Torien narrowed her eyes, "you can?t be serious. Need I remind you that I
signed your ultimatum yesterday? And since it?s official, the contract cannot
be broken."

"Unless of course I place some sort of amendment to that contract hereby
releasing you, not Avtek, to the stipulations I made."

Torien studied Alder as she quickly began thinking and nodding slowly, "one
question, why?"

"You are qualified, Torien. You?ve made evidently clear in your records. Simply
put, as much as I am against you, you nevertheless have what it takes to run
this operation. I think the only problem I have is that I can?t trust you. But
you did have a point when you told Capelan I wasn?t qualified. He?s right when
he suggested me, but he?s wrong when he thought I was the best for the job."

Torien folded her arms and laid a little heavier onto the office chair, "even
you realized it. Which now just confuses me why the hell you fought me in the
first place."

Alder laughed a little, "put yourself in my shoes you would too, Torien. Thing
is, I thought I was saving the company in my father?s name. And frankly, you,
the group, and I know that I can?t. So why fight the very person that wants to
run it. I?m giving you a position that could effect the company?s way of
handling business from here on out. Do you want it or not? I don?t have anyone
else."

Torien nodded.

"Good. You are hereby released of the conditions of the original contract. You
are given the position of first assistant to the Shimbrodus Company. But you
won?t be the only assistant. My cousin, Henry Shimbrodus, has decided to lend a
hand for the next five years. His company will be merging with us, so that
would mean we now have a new base on Earth. That should open doors. One more
thing. Torien, if you want the job, you have to step down as CEO of Avtek."

Torien looked startled, "you?ve got to be kidding me."

He shook his head, "I?m not, Torien. You?re too close to Avtek. In order for to
keep your activities separate from Avtek the best thing will be you stepping
down. I?m sure with how you run your company, there has got to be a few
seasoned people ready for the job."

"I... need time to think on this. To trade on position as high as Avtek- and as
long as I?ve worked for that position- to a new assistant position... I don?t
know."

Alder nodded, "you?ll have up to two weeks to give your decision. Let Capelan
know."

Capelan spoke up, "maybe you should also tell them your other decision."

"That?s right. Capelan last night contacted me. And we made a deal. This would
take effect later, when I?m probably ready to retire from Starfleet. I will be
returning. To run this company, and the group. I don?t know if you all were
given a memo on it, but I?m sure you?ll have it by the end of the day."

Alder sighed, and placed his thumb upon the padd. The padd was real on their
side with a virtual signature to come along; for Alder, all of this would
disappear again. He nodded, "there. Best of luck. If there?s anything else?"

The group shook their heads. But Capelan got up, offering his hand. Alder took
it, giving a firm shake, "thank you Alder. For helping. I?ll do the best I can."

Alder gave a solemn smile, "of course you are, Torien won?t have it any other
way." He nodded and gave a last look to Torien, who stared back. The gaze
didn?t look through him, it looked at him. Alder noticed the difference from
the first time they met via subpace and realized it was the best he was going
to get out of Torien.

"Computer, end transmission."

http://mail.yahoo.com