<USS Avalon> First Impressions

  • From: Raymond Danner III <rdanner3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Avalon PBeM List <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:48:40 -0600

"First Impressions"
by
Ens. Talea Genot Erridim, incoming Ops officer, /USS Avalon
/
Time: 15 minutes prior to her first shift as Chief of Operations
Place: Her quarters.
-----
Talea sat down and thought for a few moments. She didn't like personal logs that were this personal, but there seemed no help for it. She needed to get it down quickly.
 "Personal log entry TGE-4562
"This has been a very hard, yet amazing day. First, I discover my shuttle had been adrift for nearly twenty-three Regellian hours, over two Terran days!"

She paused for a moment, steeling herself for the next bit.
"During the rescue and late into the cycling of my pod, I heard someone refer to me as an ice princess. Granted, the lady who seemed to be in overall charge was quick to correct the creep, but it was very disturbing. I fear I groaned nearly as much from the insult as I did the initial intense pain of revival. Nobody had warned that revival from stasis would hurt! "To make matters worse, when the anti-nausea drug was injected, while it made me feel a lot better, it also had to have been what caused me so much agonizing dizziness. The barest movement of the pod would send me into another cycle of spinning! Most unpleasant."

She scanned her quarters, still not certain she wasn't being spied upon by someone, probably male! She knew the phobia would need to be cured, but she wasn't sure how it could be done, or how long it would take. Seeing and sensing nobody, she sighed silently in relief before continuing. "Then. . .then I heard a male voice I instinctively knew, even as disoriented and drained as I was, that I could trust. A /man/ I could actually /trust/? Extraordinary concept. I've had so little experience with being able to trust a member of the opposite gender that I was made afraid by the very trust I felt toward him and broke down!" She sighed. "I then made the unforgivable plea for him to leave and take all the other men with him. Bless him if he didn't do what I requested, although I could see, even without my telepathy or telempathy, that he was badly puzzled and worried about me."

She shifted uneasily, not sure she wanted to even say the next, but forged ahead. "Over the past hours, I've found myself growing uncommonly comfortable in his presence. Is something wrong with me, or is this normal? I cannot be sure. I am certain of only one thing: I need to see a female counselor about my still-present fear of men. They say that half the battle of defeating a problem is admitting it. Well, here I admit it. Doesn't feel like I'm halfway to beating it yet."

She switched off the recorder, now certain she'd heard a noise of some form. Before she could react, the other acted, pinning her in the chair before whispering in her ear, "I came to melt that ice, ice-princess!" She instantly recognized the voice of the same man who'd called her an ice princess aboard the /Baron l'Orange/. She whispered, "Don't make me hurt you. Leave now!" Her words were clear warning. When he simply reacted with a snort of rough laughter and an even rougher phrase, she stun-screamed, blacking out from the agony of the mental aspect of the action. There were three thuds as both of them hit the deck; he toppled straight backward, while she first struck the comsystem's desk, then, as the chair, now free to roll, slid out from under her, to the deck.