<USS Avalon> "Don't Know Nutin Bout Birthin No Babies" Cmdr. Skyler

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 21:53:11 EST

"Don't Know Nutin Bout Birthin No Babies"
Cmdr. Skyler

While waiting for Ketchum to appear and the universal translator to gleam
more information from the alien vessel, Skyler sat in her chair drifting in her

own little world.

She hadn't heard from Melanie in a while and hoped everything was okay. She
knew that Georgia would make sure to keep an eye out on her and the baby. If
she  remembered correctly the baby would be due soon. She wondered if how it
would  feel to hold her niece in her arms? She closed her eyes and let her mind
wander  back to another time and place.

"Skyler, lets git a move on! Dat baby tain't gonna wait fer you to git
dressed. Wes got to git over dere an hep Miss Jones. Nows git yous rump in
motion."  Henry was gathering his bag and supplies and was impatiently  waiting
for
his assistant, if thats what one could call Skyler at that point in  time.

Hurrying to get dressed and grab extra towels and such, Skyler ran to meet
Henry in the middle of the road. "Henry, I'm comming. I want to help deliver
Miss Jones baby. Are you going to let me? Please Henry, let me help you?"

"Skyler, yous knows its up to Miss Jones ifn yous hep or not. Is sure she  is
gonna let yous, seeings hows yous made it a point to checks up on her almost
every day now. Nows yous know heping Miss Jones has her baby tain't gonna be
easy. She done already lost  one baby in childbirth. Dis one is very  special
to her. So's wes has to be extra careful and not cause her more stress.  Do
yous hears me young'in?"

Sighing Skyler looked at Henry. "Yes, Sir I hear you. I'll be careful and
try not to be in the way. But this is all so exciting. I have seen you deliver
cows, horses and other animal's, but this will be the first real baby. I am so
 excited."

Walking down the country road Skyler and Henry finally made their way to
Miss Jones cabin. Mr. Jones was outside pacing back and forth. He had worn a
path in the dirt from so much pacing. Skyler took off running until she was
next
to Mr. Jones. "Hi Mr. Jones. How are things going?"

"Why, howdy Miss. Skyler. Whats yous doin here?" Looking up Mr. Jones saw
Henry walking up the walkway.

"I'm here to help Henry, that is if you and Miss. Jones will let me? I
really want to help and I promise not to get in the way. Please???"

"Well, ifn Henry says its okay its fine by me. Is sure Miss. Jones wont  mind
either. In fact whys don't you go in and sees if you can hep her git more
comfortable."

Skyler ran into the cabin and found Miss. Jones laying on one of the beds  in
the front room. She looked like she had a watermelon or pumkin inside her.
Just as Skyler walked into the room Miss. Jones let out one hell of a wail. It
almost made Skyler turn and run out the door. "Miss. Jones, are you okay? Why
 are you screaming like that? I didn't make you do that did I, cause if I did
I  will leave."

"Oh Miss. Skyler, you didn't do nutin. I was jest havin a contraction.  Seems
dis here baby wants to come out pert near right now. I surely hope yous  got
Henry wit yous, cause Is gonna be needed him right quick."

Skyler started to say something when Miss. Jones let out another wail. This
time she saw blood on the sheets. She ran out to get Henry. "Henry, yous got
to  hurry. I think something is wrong with Miss. Jones. She screamed and now
there  is blood on the sheets. What's going on?"

Smiling Henry looked at his assistant. "It means dat dere baby is coming
right quick. Come on if'n yous gonna hep me. Jonesy, yous stays on dis here
porch, til I fetch you." Skyler and Henry went in to see Miss. Jones.

"Wells whats dis Is hears bout yous screamin and having blood on your
sheets? Is think Is better check things out. Now Skyler, yous has to stand back
 and
make sure not to git in the way."

Henry turned his attention to Miss. Jones and her baby. Skyler stood off to
the side and watched. Henry got between Miss. Jones legs and was looking to
see  if he could see the babies head. "Henry, you shouldn't be looking there.
What if  Georgia finds out? You'll be in big trouble."

Laughing Henry smiled, "Its okay Skyler. Is has to see hows the baby is  doin
an this is the only way. Georgia knows all about it. See ifn you look  close
yous can see the babies head and its dark hair." Henry looked at Miss.  Jones,
who was holding on to the sides of the bed with both hands, "Now, whens I
tells yous to push, yous push wit all you got. Is knows its gonna hurts but its

to hep git this baby out into dis here world."

Henry placed his large hands around the baby's head and looked at Skyler  and
then at Miss. Jones. "Push, push wit all yous got. Keep pushing, dun't stop.
Here comes the head, next be the shoulders an the rest will be easy."

Skyler watched as Miss. Jones pushed until her brown face was beet red.  Next
thing Skyler saw was Henry holding a slime covered little person. She  didn't
want to tell anyone, but it was not a pretty sight. She watched as Henry
slapped the slime creature on it's rear end until it cried. He then took a
towel
and cleaned of the slime, which made the little creature look much better. He
 handed the baby to Miss. Jones, who placed it on her breast and smiled as it
 began to suck.

"Henry, whats that baby doing now? He latched onto Miss. Jones and doesn't
want to let go. Is that okay?"

Henry chuckled as did Miss. Jones. "Its alright Skyler. Miss. Jones is
feeding her new baby. Everythin is jest fine Miss. Jones, yous has a healthy
baby
boy. Now Skyler why don't you go get Mr. Jones, while Is check an make sure
everythin is okay."

Skyler ran out onto the porch and found Mr. Jones. "Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones,
its a baby boy. You can go see it if you want."

"Whys Thank You Dr. Skyler. I sure enough appreciate all yous done to hep
us."

Skyler laughed, "You know I ain't no doctor. But someday I will be. Jest
like Henry."

"Yous gonna makes a fine Doctor Miss. Skyler. Yous most certainly are."
Jonesy went in to check on his new baby and wife.

Drying his hands off Henry walked out onto the porch. "So, watcha  think?"

"I think I don't know nutin bout birthin no babies." Running up Skyler gave
Henry a big hug. "You is a good Doctor and someday I am going to be just like
you."

She had become a Doctor and had done fairly well at it. Now here she was XO
of a Starfleet Vessel. Things certainly had a way of changing. She knew that
Melanie's delivery would not be anything like Miss. Jones', she just hoped
that  her sister would let her be a part of it. After Keith made his way back
the  bridge, Skyler thought that perhaps she would go and see how Melanie was
doing.  It had been a while since they had talked and she missed  her.