<USS Avalon> Decisions

  • From: CptKetchum@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:17:24 EST

Decisions
by Phillipa Waterson  and John Forester

Sitting in her quarters,  after leaving the doctors appointment.  Her mind
wandered as to what was  next.  She had watched the vid over and over and over
again.

She had to tell  him.

She had to tell the  father of the children.

Walking to the wall  panel, she called up the location of a member of the
crew.

Once the information  appeared she nodded.  Science lab, of course.

She walked to a mirror  and made sure that her hair was perfect.

As she exited her  quarters, she made her way to the science lab that he was
working.

She took a deep breath as  she entered the lab.  There he was, sitting at a
console, running through  some tests.

Taking another deep  breath, she spoke a single word, âJohn.â  Cradling the
chip in her  hands.

Kicking his feet back and  forth, they scuffed on the ground from the tall
stool he was sat on.  John  glanced up at the mention of his name and smiled at
the pale woman in the  doorway.  "Ma'am, can I help you with something?"

"Actually, I wanted to  talk to you about something."  She absently rubbed
her hand across her  stomach.  "Something that should be done in private, I
believe."

"Okay..."  John  slipped from the stool and glanced around the lab.  "Um...
we can use the  office, if you like."  He tipped his head to the side as he
followed her  through, thinking that she looked vaguely familiar and wondering
what was so  attractive about her.  Once inside, he shut the door and leaned
against  it.  "How can I help you, ma'am?"

"Well, as you can see,  I'm pregnant."  She was having a harder time doing
this than she  imagined.

"Congratulations,  ma'am."

"Actually,  congratulations for both of us, Cadet."  If he insisted on
calling her  ma'am.  "You're the father."  Boy that came out rather  quick.

John blinked a few times,  his cheeks getting redder.  "Pardon me?"  He
outright gaped at her for  a moment, his jaw hitting his chest.  "Run that one
by
me  again?"

A tad slower this time,  "John, you are the father of our children."
Obviously, this might be  harder than it appeared to be going, but figured that
coming right out with the  mention of more than one kid might be best at this
point.

"Children?" John asked  weakly.  "Children... how many?"  His face paled and
he was suddenly  infinitely glad of the door holding him up as he slowly slid
to the ground and  stared at her.

"Three, actually, two  boys and a girl."  She watched him sitting on the
floor.  "Are you  ok?"

It felt as if the whole  universe was buzzing around in his head, spinning
round and round, making him  nauseous and dizzy.  "Um... no... I mean... are
you
sure?  Couldn't  they be... you know... someone else's?  Or.... I mean....
how did it  happen?"

"I am sure, John.   And there isn't anyone else."  At least I don't think so.
 "Well, as  to how it happened... I hope you didn't miss that lesson in
school."  She  still watched him sitting on the floor.  "Would you like to see
your
 daughter and sons", holding up the data chip.

"Er....   k."

Turning the console  around on the desk, she inserted the chip and played it,
showing the  ultrasound.  She didn't turn around to face him, but rather
watched it  again herself, rubbing her stomach.

Fuck.... shit... that's  all he could think, but what he said was... "I
helped make them?   Seriously?  No joking, right?"

This wasn't happening,  this boy didn't remember the night.  How could she
forget, the headache  lasted for three days.  "John, to be perfectly clear,
these are your kids,  I wouldn't, or rather couldn't joke about such a thing."
Finally she had  gotten a little frustrated, "Now if you will excuse me, I have
to get to the  bridge for my shift", she walked towards the door he was
leaning against which  opened, and he fell back and now lay on the floor, "I
just
thought out of  courtesy, you would like to know."  The vid still playing on
the
 console.

John lay there for  several long minutes, the door bashing into him over and
over as it tried to  close.  Shit......   Slowly, he sat back up and stared at
the vid  screen.  "Mine..."  He climbed to his feet and weaved over to the
console.  Brushing his fingers over the images playing out, he felt  something
verging on awe.  "Gonna be a Dad..."  He'd do it right, not  like his own
father.  As he saw the life dancing on the screen, he knew he  had to be a part
of
their lives, he just had to.

Spinning on his heals, he  dashed from the room, running full pelt.
"Lieutenant..." shit, what was  her name?  "Lieutenant, wait!"

She stood waiting for a  lift, when she heard him coming up behind her.  She
turned, "Yes,  Cadet?"  If he insisted on using rank, she would, also.

John skidded up to her, a  strange grin forming.  "I... I'm gonna be a Dad
and I don't even know your  name."

"John, my name is  Phillipa... Phillipa Waterson."  She fought so hard not to
shake her head  at his statement.

His grin broadened as he  stepped up to her.  "And you want me to be a part
of their lives?   Please?"

"John, the reason I told  you, is that I want you to be part of their lives,
otherwise, I would have kept  it quiet."  And part of my life too, she
thought.  "Now, I have to  head up for my shift, perhaps we can get together
later,
if you want, to  talk."

"No..."  He put  himself between her and the turbolift.  "I mean... no...  I
mean...  stay, be late, talk..."  Then he shook his head, half trying to clear
 it.  "I can remember where your cabin is, if I can come there after
shift...  maybe?"

"I don't think that Lyta  would like me to be late for my shift, nor the
Captain.  But later is fine,  after my shift."  She smiled at him.

Still slightly dazed,  John reached out and took her hand.  "I'll see you
later," he said, smiling  and dizzy.

"Til later", as the lift  opened and she walked in, his hand in hers felt
nice.  But finally they let  go and the lift door closed.