<USS Avalon> "Connections - Part 2, Turbulence and Calm"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:43:55 -0800 (PST)

Connections - Part 2
Turbulence and Calm
By Commander Skyler, Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury,
Junior Lieutenant Georgia Lewis, and Doctor Cazook

Lissi......Lyryn feel like I am falling into an abyss. What is going on? Don't
leave me!"

"I'm right here," Lissi said to her soothingly. "It's gonna be okay, Skyler.
Listen to me, okay? Just try to calm down. You're not falling. I'm your anchor,
you understand? You can't fall because I've got you."

Can't....falling, confused....lost. Skyler's eyes fluttered for a moment and
then closed, her heart rate raising, skin flushed and sweaty.

No! Lissi ordered her mentally. She didn't know if Skyler could hear her like
she could hear Skyler, but she tried. Right here! Look! Lissi tried to picture
one of their cosy dinner conversations. Stay here, Skyler. Please.  "Please,"
she re-iterated aloud.

Georgia looked at the woman who was standing next to the bed. "What you talkin'
about? She be gone and it's all my fault. I knows I shoulda said sumthin'. I
just knew it. Now it's too late." Tears started to fall down the older woman's
face. "Ms. Skyler, you can't be leaving me now, not now. I has to tell you the
truth, about Sunni, your sister."

Mentally, Skyler tried to speak to the other woman, Lissi. What is she talking
about? What sister? What is happening to me? Just want to let go......too
hard....

Skyler, listen to me. We'll fix this, we'll get it straightened out. To
Georgia, Lissi spoke quietly, "Please, you're confusing her. She's trying to
slip away - to pull away. She doesn't even know who you are."

Georgia looked at Lissi. "What you mean she don't know me? A course she knows
me. She knows Melanie, she's gots to know me, she just has ta."

Skyler was getting more confused with all the different voices in her head and
all around her. She just wanted to fade away. Lissi, I just want all the noise
and pain to go away. Make it go away.

Lissi looked at Georgia, not trying to be rude, but not having the time for
diplomacy, either. "I need you to go get Dr. Cazook."

Skyler, I don't know if you can hear me or if I'm even doing this right...
Lissi concentrated on placing her mental shielding into Skyler's mind as well,
giving her a calm place to hide until things could be sorted out. The exertion
was unbelievable, but if she concentrated hard enough, she could do it.

Georgia looked at this strange woman with disbelief. No one had ever talked to
her in that manner. She stood up, leaning over to give Skyler a kiss on the
head and then she left to go get Dr. Cazook.

I hear you. What is going on? Why is it so dark here? How did you make the
voices go away? Who are you? Do I know you?

I'm your friend. I'm trying to help you. I don't understand what's happening,
but I'll find out. I promise. It's quiet now, can you rest?

Dr. Cazook came running into the room, or as fast as an elderly lady could.
Upon her arrival she scanned Skyler's vitals and looked at Lissi. "I don't know
what you are doing and I don't think I want to know. Whatever it is, she seems
to have calmed down a little. I am going to give her a hypo to help sedate her
and hopefully we can figure out how to help her, if you are willing, that is."
Dr. Cazook drew up the medication and pressed the hypo against Skyler's neck,
immediately sending the medication coursing through Skyler's body.

After a few moments, her vitals were returning to a semblance of normal. Cazook
looked over her glasses at Lissi. "I've seen you with Cmdr. Skyler before,
haven't I?"

Lissi could feel Skyler 'relaxing' and it nearly buckled her knees as she
grabbed onto the side of the bed to steady herself. She released the shield she
had placed into Skyler's mind. "We're friends. I don't understand what's
happening. I'm not a damned telepath," she nearly cried. Reaching up to wipe a
tickle from her nose, there was a trail of blood left on her hand.

Dr. Cazook looked at Lissi and noticed the blood trickling from her nose. She
went over and checked her over. "What exactly did you do to help Skyler?"

"I - I don't really know. I know how to shield against telepaths, that's all. I
just pictured giving it to her. A place to hide."

Georgia looked at Lissi and back at Cazook. "I dun't care what you did or how
you did it. I's just thankful that it worked." Looking at Lissi, Georgia asked,
"How long can you keep her safe? Maybe Ms. Melanie can help?"

"Her mind is quiet," Lissi said, blotting her nose with the tissue Cazook had
given her. "I?ll do what I can. I'm too...tired to think through this right
now, but we need to talk. I need to understand so that Skyler can understand."
Then looking to Cazook, she asked, "I'm okay, right?"

Cazook looked at Lissi for a moment then replied, "Yes, you are okay, but you
need to get some rest."

"I know," she said, feeling as though she could barely stand. "Can you...keep
her sedated until I'm able to talk to her again? How long can you do that?"

Dr. Cazook thought for a moment then peering over her bifocals, "I can keep her
sedated as long as needed."

"You should probably do that... I can't...not for awhile."

Dr. Cazook looked at Skyler's vitals and left a hypo at the bedside, giving
Georgia instructions on when to give her the medication and how much.

"I's dun't know Dr. I's too upset to have to give Ms. Skyler medication. I
might mess it up. You best be getting someone else to do it." Georgia sat at
Skyler's bedside holding her hand with her head down silently praying.

Lissi watched the women in conversation, but her head was pounding too loudly
to make out what they were saying and she silently slipped out of the room.

Skyler was finally resting with no noises or voices in her head. How long this
would last, no one knew.

http://mail.yahoo.com