<USS Avalon> "Connections - Part 1, Of Nightmares and Reality"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:16:49 -0800 (PST)

Connections - Part 1
 Of Nightmares and Reality
By Commander Skyler and Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury, featuring
Junior Lieutenant James Monroe and Junior Lieutenant Georgia Lewis

Standing outside the glass encased room, she wondered what she was doing there.
The glass felt cool on her hands as she pressed her nose to the pane, watching
the doctor?s surround a tiny bed. No, more like a crib. There was a woman who
looked like Skyler...sorta, but more like a different version of her, standing
off to one side.

Lissi crinkled her brow trying to figure out where she was and what she was
seeing. Turning away from the glass, she willed herself to walk around to the
corner where she had seen more people looking on. There was a young girl
standing next to an older black woman. As soon as Lissi made eye contact with
the girl, everything changed.

Immediately Lissi was transported to one of the Avalon?s lower decks. She
recognized it as the room where she held Skyler captive when the Tempest?s crew
invaded the Avalon.

"I don't know who you are or what you want, but you have made a big mistake by
attacking the Avalon this way. You won't get away with this."

The Skyler tied up on the floor spoke forcefully to her captors. Lissi was
forced to watch the scene play out in front of her... only this time instead of
being a player, she had to relive it from a new perspective.

The man, Brin, stalked forward and made to slap Skyler across the face. Lissi
watched her former self stop him, thankfully. She couldn?t bear to see Skyler
hurt again. She wanted to stop the scene, rush to her friend, but she had no
voice. Nor would her feet move.

Lissi struggled in her sleep against James holding her. She whimpered in her
vain attempts to cry out.

"Liss," he whispered, startled from his slumber. "Wake up, you?re dreaming."

Lyryn.

Bolting instantly awake, she had heard and understood Skyler?s call.

"Lissi?" James asked, suddenly concerned as she sat up on the edge of the bed,
gathering her bearings. He gently rubbed her back. "You okay?"

"I have to go," she whispered, standing. Smoothing out her wrinkled clothes,
Lissi slipped on her shoes and hurried to sickbay, leaving James sitting their
rather confused in his sleep induced haze.

Skyler had called to her.

*

Skyler awoke briefly and wasn't sure where she was. She looked around and saw
an older black woman asleep at her bedside. The question she had was "Where am
I?" She reached up and felt her forehead and felt the sweat there. Her blankets
were twisted as if she had been in a fight with someone. But who and why?

She closed her eyes to try and remember what she had been dreaming about. It
came in bits and pieces.

An outpost.......a crib with a baby in it..............the black
woman...........then it changed to a ship from where..........the past- the
future..................she was tied up sitting on the floor. The uniform on
the people standing over her were different, something about the Tempest. A Lt
named Lyryn.

She faded out for a brief moment and woke up again, this time with more
memories. She was in her quarters waiting.......for who?......then Lissi
came......Lissi/Lyryn - were they the same? She needed some answers and perhaps
there was only one person who could provided them.

Lyryn.

One other name stuck in her mind, Sunni. What did it mean?

"Lyryn.....sickbay.....need help......begging please come."

Lissi reached the door to sickbay just as Skyler spoke. She could feel Skyler's
mental presence just as well as she heard her words. If she hadn't been so
concerned over her friend, the effect would've been disorienting. She was by
Skyler's bedside in an instant.

Reaching for her hand, Lissi said, "I'm here." Skyler's eyelids fluttered open
at her touch, startled that she had arrived so quickly.

"I'm...confused. Who are you - really?"

Her mouth set in a grim line, she thought to reply, "Not here and not right
now.". But as a second thought, she opened her mental barriers and showed
Skyler just who she was, pretty sure the half -Betazoid would understand. Lissi
tried to keep it simple, showing her bits of the past and their times spent
together.

"I am your friend," she said simply. "That's who I really am."

Skyler looked at her with eyes of comprehension. "Who's Sunni?" she managed.

"Dat's your sister," Georgia spoke quietly from the other side of the bed.

Skyler looked over from where the voice had spoken, "Sister, I don't have a
sister. Even if I did how would you know? Do I know you?"

Lissi......Lyryn feel like I am falling into an abyss. What is going on? Don't
leave me!