<USS Avalon> "Cat and Mice"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:55:29 -0800 (PST)

Cat and Mice
By Lieutenant Commander Anthony Manson
and Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury

Retol hadn't bothered to hit the chime on Vrenek's door. He simply entered. The
Senate had been talking long enough to make him impatient, and certainly Vrenek
had information to the progress of the talks. Normally, he'd just access one of
the many surveillence devices in the Senate Hall, but he wanted the
satisfaction of knowing that he was right for asking the Federations help from
Vrenek's mouth. "Vrenek, have you had word from the Senate?"

Looking up to the intrusive annoyance that just made its way into her office,
Vrenek masked her irritation with indifference. "No," she said simply, looking
back down at the work in front of her.

"And why haven't you? You're a Senator, or have you forgotten your lofty
position and what you are capable of doing?" Retol stood in front of her,
opposite of the table.

"I don't expect you to understand such a thing as patience, my little pet," she
sighed.

"Your 'little pet' would see you dead right now because he has no use for you
after I get word. So don't get high and mighty with me, Vrenek." Retol looked
at her.

The doors wisped opened behind them. Both peered to look at the visitor. It was
Cretann. The middle aged man vibrated with little less than fury.

Standing, Vrenek addressed, "Senator Cretann. You have word?"

"I've had former Obsidian Order agents do a better job than the two of you
could," Cretann said in anger, slow and burning.

Retol winced. Being compared to a Cardassian was bad enough, to be lowered in
the same breath to the Obsidian Order was worse. But somehow, he liked the fact
it wasn't just himself facing the brunt of Cretann's anger.

Vrenek refused to acknowledge the Senator's remark. She knew he was really
talking to Retol anyway. The situation had been nothing of her making. "So you
have received word from the Federation? They are allowing us to cross the
Neutral Zone?"

"Yes, I?ve received word." Cretann looked through her. Walking closer to them,
he went over to the small bar Vrenek had in her office. The Romulan Ale wasn't
too bad for its year and he poured a small amount into the glass. He considered
taking the drink, but kept it in his grasp. "They have declined our request.
Instead, they will search for the Ferengi and take our scientist into their
protection." He paused, looking at the light blue liquid, "Vrenek, how long
have you known T'Pex?"

"T'Pex approached me with his work nearly two cycles ago. He was looking for
funding to complete his project. I, of course, saw the potential and passed the
project on to you, Senator. Of this you are aware. Was I ever close to him? No.
We only spoke on occasion." She remained standing, watching Cretann walk about
the small room

"Then you are as much a fool as Retol is. I may be in charge of this project,
Vrenek, but I chose you because you have- or so I thought- this ability to spot
loyalty to the Empire among the staff of people in this project. That," Cretann
emphasized the word, "and because you knew exactly what you would?ve gotten
once this mission became successful. While I kept the Senate at bay, all you
had to do was watch over them. Retol," he passed him as well, "you were
assigned because if your placement in the Tal Shiar. Both of you have put this
project in jeopardy."

"With all due respect, Senator, I had no way of knowing T'Pex would pack up his
prototypes and disappear on us. And if you will notice, all my spies were in
place and Retol was informed and chasing him in a matter of moments. I can
hardly be blamed for Retol?s lack of ability in retrieving one little
scientist."

"Did I say anything about his current acts against the Empire, Vrenek? Aren't
you listening? You've had two cycles to familiarize yourself with each member
of the staff. And yet, I noticed you haven't. Or this incident would have never
happened." Cretann looked at his glass, he decided not to take the drink.
Slamming the glass on Vrenek's desk, he ordered, "You will clear all the staff
member?s whereabouts. The Senate and the Military are not to know where they
are. Everything concerning this project will disappear, do you understand? It
never existed. Retol will cover his end at the Tal Shiar. I will attempt to
avert the Senate's eyes elsewhere. Fail me now, and both of you will die in
your sleep." Cretann walked out, but not before giving an empty, cold look that
was worth a shudder if Retol and Vrenek were not Romulan.

Retol smiled, "Well, looks like our wish is coming true if we don?t finish our
business. Good day, Senator Vrenek."

"At least we'll die with the satisfaction of knowing we killed each other," she
muttered as he walked towards the door.

"My thoughts exactly," Retol laughed bitterly.