<USS Avalon> "An Ensign's Loyalties" Pt. 1

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:54:31 -0700

?An Ensign?s Loyalties? ? Part One
by Lieutenant Commander Javan Sierra
& Ensign Michael Bailey

It was sort of disconcerting to know that he was being flanked by a Section 31 Operative turned sour, and a spy trying to find out secrets on the mysterious group. Nothing like walking with imminent death and his sister. Javan sighed inwardly and put it out of his mind - as long as they walked along the corridors of the Avalon then he'd not have to worry about their presence as a threat. It was the moment that they stepped onto the Allegiance that bothered him.

After clearing the log retrieval mission with the Captain - which involved a long drawn-out process of talking and trading PADDs - he told his two 'buddies' that they'd accompany him. The Tactical Officer, Cassandra Kellik, would access the weapons and ship's logs while the medic, Senior Lieutenant Brad Ruder, would follow and make sure that if anyone was hurt that help was administered. It was a stretch for a reason, but it worked.

The troika walked into the main security offices, drawing eyes and suspicion from his colleagues, but it soon died down into nothing and they were free to do whatever their hearts desired. They opened up a weapons locker and took out three phaser compression rifles - their sleek design and metallic casing was a formidable enemy. They slung them over their shoulders and holstered tricorders, and turned to head towards the transporter room.

Ensign Bailey was working at a station, looking depressed and very exhausted of the work that the Lieutenant assigned him to do. He knew that he must follow every order given to him and he saw no problem with it, he only believed that the Lieutenant was deliberately adding extra work for him. He turned and watched as Sierra, Ruder, and Kellik were getting weapons out of the locker he figured it was time to voice his concerns. He walked over to Lieutenant Sierra. "Sir, Security Protocol designates that at least two security officers are supposed to accompany an away team. I only see one, Sir."

"Ensign," Javan fought to not turn around and smash him, "I'm aware of Starfleet protocol, but in this situation it is required we override such regulations. Sending more people over there would be foolish considering the amount of crew that the Allegiance has already lost. It seems illogical to add more notches in this alien's belt, wouldn't you say?" He continued loading and activating his weapon, as did the others.

"With all do respect, Lieutenant," the Ensign held back the urge to crack his neck in frustration, "I believe you will need some help down there. Knowing the danger of this mission, and in my opinion you?re at risk of losing all three members of your away team without a little backup." The Ensign stood watching them load their weapons knowing each one of them were scared in their own right, even the Lieutenant.

Javan narrowed his eyes; "Do you think if all three of us are going to die that one person is going to make much of a difference? I don't think so. I've cleared it with the Captain and he has agreed with the precaution; if you have such a passion for making your reservations known, then by all means talk to the Captain." He walked out into the corridor with the two others riding on his heels.

Ensign Bailey immediately followed the away team out and walked to stand side by side with the Lieutenant "Sir, I feel it is in your best interest to bring at least one other along. I can assure you, that not many crewmen on this ship are as weak and inferior as you think they are, Sir. And to be honest, I feel you hate my guts, and don't want me on this crew. I wish for the chance to prove to you that I can handle dangerous situations and to be a valuable asset to your team. Without that chance, I am just a tool left on the bench to rust, Sir."

"First off, Ensign, I don't hate you. I respect your abilities as much as I would every other member of this crew. Secondly, it's already been decided. I'm not taking anyone else along. The mission will be no longer than an hour." He turned on his heel again and walked down the corridor some more, "And you don't need to prove to me anything."

Bailey stopped and stood and watched the away team move down the corridor, he narrowed his eyes and turned returning to the weapons locker and grabbed his own phaser rifle and began to adjust its settings and set it up correctly. As he stood there he thought to himself, He is going to need some extra help and I am going help him whether he likes it or not. He left the locker storage unit and waited outside the transporter room until the team had beamed down before entering it himself.

The Allegiance was darkened and the bridge was equally baron. Circuits flashed and broken conduits sparked and displays flickered as the trio moved across the deck. Each had the lights on their phaser rifle on and they scoured the area before Cassandra put hers down and began tapping the console. "It's going to take some time, their corrupted," she said as she began to work diligently.

"Make it fast," Javan said, putting his back to her.

After giving the transporter chief a really cheesy reason to join the away team, of him being held back while trying to get his weapon, he beamed aboard the Allegiance. He raised his rifle and turned on the light, looking around the corridor trying to avoid possible falling debris. Michael opened his tricorder to search for his colleagues, but made sure not to get into the way but only provide backup if the need came. Bailey roamed the Allegiance searching for possible threats for the away team, trying to make sure the entrance to the bridge was secure for Sierra, Kellik, and Ruder.

"Would you hurry?" Javan's eyes roamed the desolate bridge, making sure that nothing out of the ordinary came out and surprised them. Ruder emerged from the conference room with a grim look on his face, "What happened to you?"

"The Commander, he's dead."

"We knew that," Cassandra called from the console.

Turning to look at Cassandra's progress, Javan sensed something he couldn't define. Nor, for that matter, did he have any time to think. A blunt object smashed into the back of his skull and he crippled forward onto the console, blood smearing its surface. He rolled to the floor in a blurry haze; only the smile on Brad's face could he see.

"What the hell are you doing!?" Cassandra said, twirling around and smacking the gun away before grabbing her own. "Get back! Stand right there and don't move." She knelt down next to Javan and took his pulse and she was relieved to know that he wasn't dead.

Brad raised his arms in defeat, "He's going to try and kill us both - he's Section 31 like you and me. He knows that you wouldn't delete and relinquish the information that you've gathered."

Bailey heard noises coming from the bridge and stood near a door peaking through a door, which was slightly opened. He watched as Cassandra had her rifle on Ruder and perked an eye brow in shock and would have said ?what the hell? if it wouldn't have given him away, but he kept his rifle near the door keeping his eyes locked on Ruder and Cassandra ? he narrowed his eyes. He couldn't make a move because he wasn't sure whom struck Sierra, but waited for his chance.

Ruder stepped forward and Kellik drove the barrel of the rifle into his sternum. "Move again, and I'll have you vaporized right here. I don't give a damn if he's Section 31; we're all Section 31 here. We don't kill our own."

"Don't be so naive! We always do. Do you think that all the operatives who fall off the manifests are discovered or transferred? No! They die because command has them knocked off because we become a liability. You should know that!" Brad took another step forward and Cassandra pulled the trigger.

The color drained from his face. An orange glow raced up his body and his mouth twisted into a horrible snarl and his arms raised up as if to reach and hold onto life. He shriveled up into nothingness and within moments was nothing but a gleam in his creator's eye. Cassandra panted heavily as she knelt down to the fallen Javan.

Bailey quickly opened the door and raised his rifle ? pointing it directly at Cassandra, "Drop your weapon!" His eyes looked to Javan, then at Cassandra making sure not to take his weapon off of her, but saw what had taken place. Michael knew she wasn't responsible for Javan's injury. He placed his eyes on hers as he spoke, "Do it now, Sir."

She turned her own rifle on Bailey, "Stand down, Ensign."

He kept his weapon on Cassandra, "I just saw what happened and if you want off this ship, you will drop your weapon." Bailey was ready to fire and hoped he didn't have to.

"You saw the traitor - it was Ruder. How do I know you're not working for him?"

"I would have shot you already if I were" glared at her for that accusation keeping his weapon ready. I'll tell you what; we will both drop our weapons, at the same time and kick them away. What's important right now, is Lieutenant Sierra, ma'am." He decided to compromise despite his instincts.

She looked at the fallen Commander, and nodded, placing her weapon the floor and pushing it across the deck. "Agreed." She flipped open her tricorder and cast a worried eye in Michael's direction. "So, when did you come into our little conversation and problem? Long enough, I hope, to implicate that Mr. Ruder was a spy?"

He dropped his weapon and pushed it away and looked to Cassandra, "Yes, but was it really necessary to kill him? I would have liked to see him get convicted for his crimes, including attempted murder." Bailey glanced at Javan and knew he required immediate medical attention.

"Self defense, Ensign." She was worried at this point to what he knew, "What else did you hear?"

Bailey looked at her and tilted his head; he heard more then he cared to but noticed she defended Javan and tried to keep him alive. Michael decided to speak his true thoughts, "I saw and heard you defending the Commander to Mr. Ruder and protected him even when your own safety was on the line, ma'am. I find that commendable."

"Did you hear anything else?"

"Yes I did, but as far as I'm concerned, you and the Commander are my colleagues despite your past, and I will do what I can to back you up, Ma'am."

Javan rose slowly, gaining his bearings, "So, you heard about the Section?"

He looked to Javan, "Yes, but that is unimportant, sir. What is important, is your safety."

He slung his fallen phaser rifle over his shoulder again, "Cass, did you the logs?"

"Yes," she handed him a PADD.

"Thanks." He turned, pulled the trigger and vaporized the Lieutenant to join Senior Lieutenant Brad Ruder. Javan didn't bat an eyelash. He turned a concerned eye to Michael Bailey, his left eye blurred from the presence of his crimson red blood. "Shall we return?"

Bailey looked at Javan as he took two steps forward to look him in the eye. "What was the purpose of that?"

"That's classified."

Bailey asked one more question, not to get an answer but to make a point "Classified by whom? Starfleet or Section 31?" Bailey turned to leave, picking up his phaser rifle and slinging it over his shoulder.

Javan raced up and blocked Michael's path out. "You said that you wanted to prove to me that you could handle a dangerous situation. Well, I'm giving you an opportunity to prove to me that you're a loyal officer. If one word leaks about what happened here, I'll make sure you get yours." Without waiting he tapped his combadge, "Sierra to Avalon, two to beam back."