atw: Re: Youse

  • From: David Godley <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:17:52 +1100

I have semi-seriously argued that this trend can be traced to the widespread
use of the thesaurus in schools.  Once upon a time the thesaurus was a tome
that that was used to highlight the subtle differences in meaning. So that
the writer could select the word with the right shade of meaning.  Now, for
the most part, it is seen as a list of synonyms.