atw: Youse

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:45:50 +1100

Not sure I understand you Terry. "Yous" is not a word in Australian English,
so the non-standardness can't be referring to the adding of an e at the end.
"Non-standard" typically means not widely accepted in general writing or
speech.

As for ambiguity, what would be the cost to language learning and use if
there was a word for every likely number of people in a group?

It's the same with plural possession: I write "The students' assignments
were unexpectedly good". You know by the placement of the apostrophe that I
am talking about more than one student, but I've not told you how many
students I am referring to. But is that a reason to stop using possessive
apostrophes to distinguish singular from plural? I doubt it. So, likewise:
if I say "Where are youse going?", it's clear that I am talking about more
than one person. That's a step forward even though I haven't made it clear
how many I was addressing (just as I didn't make it clear how many
assignments I was referring to).

I don't think one can have it both ways: insisting on the usefulness of
singular-plural distinctions in possession but arguing that singular-plural
distinctions in the second-person are not useful. Why are such distinctions
useful in first person ("I" and "we") and third person ("he" and "they") but
not in the second person?

Here's to that mellifluous, poetic word "youse". May it live a long and
hearty life.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant