atw: Re: Very OT: Climate change and fossil fuels

  • From: "Rafael Manory" <rafi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 00:31:40 +1000

Rod, while I don't believe in man-made global warming, I am convinced that
there is global warming overall, as evidenced (for example) by ice melting in
the Arctic region.
Having said that, the article you bring is not a journal article, it is a
commentary on an article. Moreover, the article on which is based
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/22mar_saber/
 is a news item, not a peer-reviewed article. Nevertheless, the content is
interesting and it does contradict the theory of man-made global warming. Al
Gore would definitely not blame global warming on solar spots...

Rafael

    From: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rod Stuart

    Now, in terms of this thing you call ‘global warming’, it is postulated
that global mean surface air temperatures have risen inordinately. There is no
evidence to support this theory.

    See the evidence at http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/ - yes NASA.

    Even the argument that the increase I the last two decades of the twentieth
century is bogus. The record of the period from 1920 to 1940 had not only
higher temperatures, but a greater rate of increase.

    See http://climate.nasa.gov/warming_world/ where they say “NASA scientists
unveil their latest findings on our warming world: 2009 is tied as the second
warmest year since modern recordkeeping began, and 2000-2009 is the hottest
decade ever”

    Since there is no evidence to disprove the null hypothesis, in this case
that the observed data is well within normal natural variations, to postulate
another hypothesis at all is an affront to science and the scientific method.

    Again see http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence for how the cycle of
warming-cooling has been distorted. Then look at http://climate.nasa.gov/causes
to see how they describe CO2’s role in warming.

    I particularly love the site Rod directed me to a while ago that said that
because the year after the hottest-ever-recorded-year was not as hot, then it
was evidence that the world was cooling, even though it was still in the top 10
ever hottest years.

    So far as climate change is concerned, no one dares dispute the fact that
climates have been dynamic for about 4.5 billion years. What mechanism could
possibly relate what you call “human induced climate change” if it weren’t the
non-existent ‘global warming’?

    This is what NASA say about proving it is not sun cycles causing the record
high temps:

    How do we know that changes in the sun aren’t to blame for current global
warming trends?

    Since 1978, a series of satellite instruments have measured the energy
output of the sun directly. The satellite data show a very slight drop in solar
irradiance (which is a measure of the amount of energy the sun gives off) over
this time period. So the sun doesn't appear to be responsible for the warming
trend observed over the past 30 years.

    Longer-term estimates of solar irradiance have been made using sunspot
records and other so-called “proxy indicators,” such as the amount of carbon in
tree rings. The most recent analyses of these proxies indicate that solar
irradiance changes cannot plausibly account for more than 10 percent of the
20th century’s warming.

    I particularly like David Evans’s description of who benefits from
believing in global warming:

    “The supporters of the theory of manmade global warming are mainly
financial beneficiaries,7 believers in big government, or Greens. They are
usually university educated. They generally prefer the methods of government,
namely politics and coercion, rather than the voluntary transactions of the
marketplace—especially when it comes to setting their own remuneration.

    They are an intellectual upper class of wordsmiths, who regulate and
pontificate rather than produce real stuff. There is little demand in the
economy for their skills, so they would command only modest rewards for their
labor in the marketplace.”

    I guess the coal, energy and petro-chemical industries have no interest in
‘disproving’ the science. They’re all so poorly paid and there’s no
self-interest there. At least they can be happy that they’re not university
educated – like most of the people they have as followers.

  --
  Rod Stuart
  6 Brickhill Drive

PNG image