atw: Re: Umbrella companies - ATO view on 'partnership based' arrangements

  • From: margp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:09:39 +1000 (EST)

Wow - that's pretty heavy stuff.
Ten out of ten to the tax office though.
I felt intuitively uneasy about a partnership model I looked at some time ago.
Someone once told me that you should never go into partnership with someone you
wouldn't want to be married to - it required that kind of trust, and even then
it was a risky exercise.
Having no knowledge of other participants (partners) in advance of signing up
to a partnership with them seemed to be a path fraught with danger, even
without funny tax arrangements.
I guess the bottom line with these things is that you must be prepared to pay
the individual rate of tax on your earnings if you're working as an individual,
no matter how you organise to do that.

This has been a very useful thread for me - I have appreciated people sharing
their experience and wisdom, and have learnt much in a very short time.

Thanks!

Margaret