atw: Re: This does not make sense

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:15:46 +1000

It's a common phenomenon that every generation thinks the next one is
letting language go to the dogs. But relax, Bob - your examples are all
instances of a linguistic usage that is known well enough to have a name:
'transferred epithet' (or sometimes 'hypallage'). If you search the
Internet (or try http://grammar.about.com/od/fh/g/hypallageterm.htm),
you'll find examples going back to Shakespeare.

I associate this particularly with P.G. Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster, who
often used phrases like 'I lit a nonchalant cigarette' and 'I sat in the
bath soaping a meditative foot' writing as the narrator in the 'Jeeves'
books.

Howard