atw: Re: Terminology

  • From: "Ilana Cohney" <Ilana.Cohney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:16:20 +1100

Thanks all for your suggestions for making more "user friendly" teminology.
I did quite an interesting study of some existing databases and found that
the terminology used for the same functions differed widely, some terms
actually quite surprising.  Anyone heard of a Word Wheel?  It is quite some
bright spark decided to call a Lookup List.
Anyway, does anyone know of the significance of using an elipses ( ...)  I
have seen them at the end of menu items, tooltips, popup windows and dialog
boxes.  There does not seem to be any consistency about its usage.  Some
terms such as Save ... or New ... use it while others such as Sort don't.
It seems to be especially popular by programers when naming popup windows
and dialog boxes.  I find that they do not add anything to the documentation
but added clutter.  Did you include them when naming menu items and windows
or leave them out?  Should we get rid of them altogether?
Ilana Cohney