atw: Re: Technical Writers in Southern California?

  • From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:52:48 +1100

Effective yeah, because people stop emailing you. The less email you
have, the less spam you have.

While services like this are usually noble in design (they want to
stop spam, stop fraud, stop phishing, whatever), they use principles
that *encourage* all those things.

Put it this way: the way to stop spam and phishing is to not open
emails from unknown addresses (the email that Spam Assassin sent me
came from an address that was different to the address I sent my
original mail to); not to click on links in emails (it asked me to
click on a link to verify myself. Not only that but it was a long
complicated link that contained arguments. I have no way of knowing
what that link is going to do); not to download images and other
attachments from unknown addresses (the email was graphic, and while
the text rendered well without the images, not everyone reads their
mail in plan text like me) ...

I could go on.

It's kind of the same thing as teaching our kids not to speak to
strangers, and to be wary of strange men in shopping centres, and then
encourage them to sit on Santa's knee, even when the child in question
is screaming blue murder in fear of the bearded man[0].

Anyway, I've ranted enough. Yes, these services might work for
specific use cases, but they undermine online security generally.

[0] http://www.creepysantaphotos.com/