atw: Re: Technical Writers

  • From: idcohney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:33:31 +1000

Hi all,
I am interested in hearing how you would handle the following.  I am creating a
template that includes the page number of  (number of pages in document) in the
footer.  My preference is to number the TOC with seperate numbering in roman
letters and  begin the first page of the document with the number one.
However, if I do this, the final page count includes all pages in the document
so that on the last page Page 8 of 12 displays, even though it is the end of
the document, giving the user the impression that same pages are missing.
I have two options:
1.  Number all pages the same way so that the page count and last page number
correspond.  This means that the actual text starts on page 5 which I really
don't like.
2.  Make the final page count a formula which is the actual number of text in
the document (not including the TOC).
Which method is better?  If you nominate method two, how do I construct this
formula so that it will be automatically updated as pages are added to the
document.
Thanks for your advice.
Ilana