atw: Re: Should and would

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:12:39 +1100

Thanks for your input, Kirsty

I don't have the latest MMoS but I do have a version and strangely didn't
think to check it. (It's strange, because I even have a shortcut to it on my
desktop.) But I now find that my version says, under "Subjunctive"

Subjunctive Mood

There is seldom any reason to use the subjunctive mood, which expresses a
condition contrary to fact or a wish, desire, supposition, or hypothesis. In
general, write documentation in the indicative mood (for information) or the
imperative mood (for procedures).

and, under "Should"

 Because *should* can be ambiguous, avoid its use. Instead, cast your
sentence in one of the following ways, depending on the context:

   - Use the imperative mood.
   - Use *must* to specifically instruct users that they must follow some
   course of action.
   - Use a phrase such as "we recommend" (in marketing information only) or
   "it is recommended."
   - Rephrase the instruction to recommend some action or condition.

All of which I generally tend to agree with.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Howard