atw: Re: Should and would

  • From: Kirsty Taylor <kirsty.taylor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:24:18 -0700

Hi Howard,

Modal verbs can be tricky. We have an internal style guideline to try to avoid
them in most instances, as they can cause problems for translation. Our
translation department has this in their guidelines:
[cid:image001.png@01CA5180.3F038720]      Modals are open to interpretation and
can cause lengthy (and incorrect) translations

In an example from old documentation, they found a sentence stating " xyz
should be added to pqr". Should it be? Or must it be? Is this a recommendation
or a pre-requisite? Using should makes it unclear. Rewriting without using the
modal makes the sentence clear.

But, as far as a reference for this, beyond our translation department's
experience ...
I've had a quick look in MMoS, there's an entry for should vs must and can vs
may. They say to use should to describe a user action that is recommended but
optional. Use must for an action that is required. Use can for ability and may
for possibility, not to imply permission. Use might to connote greater doubt
than may or eliminate ambiguity when may could be interpreted for permission.
Do not use could when you mean can (except for past tense of can and it is not
ambiguous).
[My summary/paraphrasing of MMoS, this does not necessarily indicate my
preferences or our internal style]

Hope this helps,
KT

Kirsty Taylor