atw: Re: Not ... all

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:59:04 -0700 (PDT)

The confusion stems from whether "not" qualifies
"permitted" or "all". Since "not" immediately
precedes "permitted", logically that should be
what it is qualifying. However, the interpretation
of the sentence in practice is that "not"
qualifies all of "permitted in all".

In mathematics such confusion can be obviated
using punctuation

e,g, 2(3 + 7) = 20
not(permitted in all)

but

2x3 + 7 = 13
(not permitted) in all

I suppose the question is whether the
sentence could likewise be punctuated to show
the difference.

Another example is:

"I don't think I agree"

(just not thinking about it or realising
at the time does not necessarily mean you
would not agree were to think about it)

"I don't think I agree" really means:

"I think I do not agree"