atw: Re: New skill set required

  • From: Michael Lewis <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:32:01 +1000

As I said, neologism itself isn't the problem. But Peter rightly points out something that's also related to Howard's post about "settlement past": when clarity is lost, it doesn't matter whether you are using words that were invented specifically for your message or words that have survived since Chaucer's time. Clarity is above all choosing language - words and grammatical arrangements - that are appropriate for your purpose _and_ your audience.

Mind you, it's interesting that Peter's second paragraph is perfectly understandable. But that doesn't mean that the words are suitable for a user manual or an instructional video.

(Incidentally, that word "camphone" is one I haven't encountered before, but it's a good one. And, for readers of this list, new words for new technologies or new inventions shouldn't be too much of a problem - though there have been times when multiple new words have been proposed for the same thing and it takes time for one option to become established.)

- Michael Lewis

On 2018/08/14 10:52, Peter Martin wrote:

Yes, Michael.
Have found references to (but not usages of)  a few wonders such as impossibilize and difficultize.  Which seem vaguely appropriate in context.

This is all amazeballs to me.  I find a few of these are awkwords and while I don't want to be a buzzkill, and would prefer to chillax, I find many of them are just clickbait.   They leave me confuzzled  and have me reaching for my camphone to see if I can lens or google some meaning out of them.    I must be due for some me time and should probably take a  daycation.

--Peter M

---
https://www.avg.com