atw: Re: Mistakes and editing

  • From: Michael Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:24:42 +1000

Hi Mark (K)

I find that the special characters drop down in the MS Word Find /
Replace dialog can be very handy for detailing the ^(character)
instructions.

Also, I have long used find / replace "^p   " paragraph
marker [space][space][space] to find a paragraph end followed by three
spaces and replace with say, just a paragraph marker of a given style.

You can also copy whatever you wish into the paste buffer / Windows
clipboard (Edit > Copy = Ctrl+C or Edit > Cut = Ctrl+X) then search
for something in MS Word and use the replacement string of ^C, which
replaces whatever you find with the contents of the clipboard. A trick
that I have found to be massively useful over time, even allowing you to
replace textual items with a copied table or graphic.

Just tread a bit carefully if replacing items with massive screen dumps
or you might just run out of Windows system resources.  In such cares,
try doing this one replace at a time, saving (full saves not fast saves) in
between.  Global replaces with big clipboard dumps can make Windows
have a WinDoze.

I mean you could create a macro to do the above, but most of it is so
simple to do on the fly, why would you bother?  ...unless the macro
would have application over multiple document DOC files that call the
same template DOT file.

HTH.

Cheers,

Micky G
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au

At 18:34 6/10/2006, you wrote:

While on the topic of mistakes and editing I found this which I think most
will find incredibly useful - a quick way to find and replace multiple
spaces between words in a Word document.
In the Find Replace dialog box, select the Wildcard checkbox, then type the
following expression in the Find what box, repalcing the word "space" with
an actual  space:
space[space]@([!space])
Type the following expression in the Replace box, also replacing the word
"space" with an actual space.
space\1
This will find and replace multiple spaces between words.

I found this on http://vbaexpress.com in the Word Macro section. I think you
have to be a member to see code examples though.
Cheers Mark

"subscribe" in the Subject field.