atw: Re: Limiting word count

  • From: Bill Parker <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:03:30 +0800

Jonathan

I eventually solved the problem mechanically. Because the end result is beyond my control, the front end has to be very simple. I developed a template document saved in an older version of Word that I know is PC and Mac compatible with a text box full of lorem ipsum and some warnings and red as to why the (200) word count should not be exceeded.

Bill
On 04/01/2011, at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Moffett wrote:

You do not even need an intranet if you have access to a shared drive.
"Wiki on a Stick" (http://stickwiki.sourceforge.net/) is a little
self-modifying XHTML file used for easily setting up a Wiki site.

Jonathan Moffett

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:58:44 +1100, "Write Ideas"
<writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
No problem Bill. Happy to help.

In fact, it occurred to me that, just as I sent this off, if you were in
a workplace environment that used an intranet, to which all of the
contributing authors have access, you could simply set up a page that
they could log into and enter the text to fill that box, then auto
submit it back to you when they're done. Also their Web browser would do
the on the fly spell checking for them. The whole process could be
independent of the need for any proprietary software and could work
globally, if needed.

In this way, you wouldn't have the lag between sending out Word files
and getting them back, plus all the need to do follow-up E-mails to
remind them of the deadline.

It might even mean that you could track what contributions are done at a glance and track any that are missing (even create a Page of Shame for
those contributors running late).

But, then again, that might just add a further level of complexity to
something that can be resolved so simply.

Michael Granat

Write Ideas
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
http://www.writeideas.com.au/

Advocating the GNU/Linux Ubuntu open source OS.
Ubuntu: "Linux for human beings!"
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Dr Bill Parker
“The greatest enemy of the truth is not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth – persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic.”
John F. Kennedy