atw: Re: Is 'GIF format' a pleonasm?

  • From: "Peter Bloxsom" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:20:27 +1000

Well, Jessica, of course that was a tongue-in-cheek piece of fastidiousness.
There's an old objection to "very" with a passive participle, which
"entertained" is here, really. Some such participles, for example "tired" and
"surprised", have acquired the status of adjectives: "very surprised" is
normal. Others, like "equipped" or "qualified" or, debatably, "entertained",
still seem more comfortable with "very well" or "highly" or some other
intensifier than they do with "very".

This point is explained under "Usage" in my Collins English Dictionary entry
for "very" --"In strict usage..."  I don't know if that's in the Australian
edition too. Usage in this regard seems to have changed in recent years: quite
a few passive participles have crossed the hazy line and are now commonly
treated as adjectives and intensified with "very". Two that come to mind are
"delighted" and "offended". But there are linguistic conservatives (prigs?) who
are very (much) opposed to the trend.

Peter Bloxsom
http://www.netpublish.net
peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx