atw: Re: Is 'GIF format' a pleonasm?

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:20:44 +0800

Hi Jessica -

Welcome aboard! Did you know there's also a local list called
WAustechwriters? If you're interested you can subscribe at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WAustechwriters/

There are not so many fastidious discussions, though--mainly job ads and
announcements. We also get together at a pub two or three times a year for
a drink and a chat and to see what other technical writers look like
(typically, pince-nez, braces, inky forefinger and a visor).

As for 'GIF format', I don't see the redundancy as a problem. GIF, PNG and
JPEG are all formats so if JPEG format, why not GIF format? In any case
it's usually possible to rewrite the sentence to keep them at a safe
distance:
"We accept files in GIF and PNG format. Note that Peter does not like GIF
files."

If you really want to talk about the format and not files in that format,
it's best to spell it out: "Peter admires individual GIF images, but admits
to a general dislike of the Graphics Interchange Format." Of course it
would be silly to say "the Graphics Interchange Format format".

Cheers
---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer                        Email: sburnf@xxxxxxxxxx
Australian Programming Centre      Phone: +61 8 9261 8719