atw: Re: Getting wiki data

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:18:08 +1100

Bruce:

You wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Using Excel, I'm trying to automatically
> collect data originating in one of our wikis (over numerous pages) but so far
> have not
> come up with a way that can be automated.
>
> I can do it one at a time using Excel
> Web Queries but I am hoping someone has been down this path before and can
> shed some
> light on some other options.

My choice for something like this would be Perl, which has modules for this
sort of thing. But that has a big lead time, I guess.

Not sure how much time you have to devote to it, but for similar things, I've
found AutoIT (free tool) has its uses. And it includes somewhere, as I recall
it, a tool which captures Windows actions into a script which you can save and
modify, using its relatively simple language.

See: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

-PeterM
peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The superior man is distressed by the limitation of his ability; he is not
distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability he
has. - Confucius