atw: Re: FTP problem

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:41:26 +1100 (EST)

Dear Kay (R).

You don't state whether you are at home on a dialup or on
location at a customer site, using their network.  I am
guessing that the latter is almost certainly the case.

The firewall in your PC might very well have no setting to
stop FTP use but, the hardware firewall, further down the
line / in the back room at your customer's site will almost
certainly be set to block it.

This happened to me at a recent site, at which any FTP
attempt by my WinDoze 2K P of C solicited a Web Marshal
alert message and warned me that my insidious attempt to
do anything of the sort would be recorded. Shock / horror!

Methinks it is happening deeper than your desktop.

Talk to your customer's Help Desk folk about this.  They
might still permit HTTP downloads instead, as did mine.

HTH.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>
Without Prejudice.