atw: Re: Captivate or Camtasia?

  • From: Peter G Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:40:23 +1000

 On 12/08/2010 12:02 PM, Ngaire Eyers wrote:
Hi everyone
I am on a steep learing curve to create brief video training for incorporation into our software, both new online product and 'Classic' applications.
Camtasia or Captivate?  .. or?
Any tips/tricks/advice/rules around posting these onto YouTube?
Thanks :-)
Ngaire
Just finished two successive jobs creating stuff like this. First with Captivate, then with Camtasia. I have to say I think Captivate is more powerful and easier to use if you need mixed components (movie, still image, Power point). A nice but fairly hidden feature of Captivate is that if you incorporate your commentary / voice-over material into one track in the timeline sequence (I forget what they call it -- maybe accessibility?) it actually gives you reasonably accurate durations for the video sequences automatically (I assume it works off syllable or word counts or some such)... i.e., it "stretches" components to match to commentary. That can save a lot of fiddling time, although you probably will find you need to add in some suitable pause points according to context. And there's a feature then to display the commentary lines (bit like an autocue ?)if you want to record the voice over directly into the timeline.

Camtasia's cheaper, (last I looked) and had some nice features but I just found it less powerful than Captivate.

Cheaper still -- you may be able to get the whole AVS4YOU suite if you hurry for $56 (US?) ... It's more "clunky" to use in some respects, but the audio editor turned out to be a godsend for me in getting rid of hum/hiss combos from a computer system/microphone that seemed to be lacking in sophistication (probably limitation of laptop's sound card??). There are evaluation offers sitting around.. the whole suite has a set of tools suitable for most things, but it's been a bit short on handling flash formats.

Also look at the following free tools:
Audacity for audio.... preferred for ease of editing use to most other tools, but also see Wavesaur and Wavepad
Avidemux for avi videos etc.
Video dub and
FormatFactory (a very handy conversion tool of everything to everything).
And in the flash area, look now at BBFlashback 2 Express for flv captures.
Amongst that lot you should find some functions suitable for posting to YouTube, although I can't quite recall at present just where that function was incorporated.

Good luck with all that.

But +beware+ of Codec problems ! Check the limitations of your distribution systems' codecs before choosing a final release format.

-Peter M

Free tools you can use for getting stuff to the