atw: Old topic revisited: Robohelp X5 for Word vs XDK 2002

  • From: "Garry Stevens (ASI)" <StevensGa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:25:18 +1100

Hi All:
Thanks to Andrea Tappe, Janet Taylor, Donald Halley, Carole Dacey and Terry D
for their comments on choosing an online help authoring tool. While several
were keen on Reworx, I can't determine if it has all the features I'll need, so
I'm tossing up between Robohelp for Word X5 and XDK 2002.

I'll summarise my requirements and call for any final comments:

* Source reference and/or training manuals in Word to be transformed into
online help. Hence Word import must be excellent. (I've heard that Robohelp is
pretty dodgy in this area)
 * Multiple input documents, multiple authors to be merged into one system.
* Strict single-sourcing. Help will be generated as final step after manuals
produced. (This seems to be Reworx's forte, yet I have niggley doubts. XDK also
has a big "No" on the product comparision sheet at vmtech.com for "Use Print
Document as primary source for multiple online output" and for "Print-ready
Source Documents". I'm not sure what that means.)
* Probable need for conditional text, depending on the deployment site: sites
have different ways of doing things.
* Type of output is undecided yet. Most likely method is that the application
will link to an HTML page on the intranet. If that falls off the perch, we'll
make chm files for distribution.
* Image maps: client is keen on graphics with several clickable areas.

Ta,
Garry

-- File: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service

This email, and the files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended

If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or
use this email or any of its attachments in any way.

We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus-scanned and
although no computer viruses were detected, South Eastern Sydney Area Health
Service accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email
containing any computer viruses.