atw: An old topic: Current state of HATs

  • From: "Garry Stevens (ASI)" <StevensGa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:03:45 +1100

How do:
And now for a return to that grand old topic of choosing an online authoring
tool. I've perused articles here from mid last year and checked out the
recommended review sites. I thought I'd check up with y'all.

In short: environment is Windows 2000, Office 2000. We intend to single source
in so far as that is practicable, using the one doc to make a user/reference
manual and online help. One author. Help may be chm file or mounted on the
intranet-- haven't decided yet. That partly depends on whether we can integrate
the help with the (third-party) product, and whether we can tie topics into
dialogs. It would be nice if we could decompile the existing help and meld it
into the new stuff (we aren't sure what access the Aussie reseller has to the
original help files).

I've used HDK (vsn 2000, recently) and Robohelp (some time ago). I always felt
HDK was a bit too smart for its own good, had a particularly nasty interface,
and a supercilious help system. I presume XDK is HDK's successor. ReWorx sounds
suspiciously simple. I've no idea what the difference is between Robohelp
Office and Robohelp for Word. One review site praised AuthorIT.

One issue concerns downloads. I notice that XDK requires a download, with an
optional and additional CD. We have the NSW government's slowest internet
connection (rather slower than a phone line), and I don't trust a download to
complete successfully.

Yours suggestions welcomed,
Garry

-- File: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service

This email, and the files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended

If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or
use this email or any of its attachments in any way.

We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus-scanned and
although no computer viruses were detected, South Eastern Sydney Area Health
Service accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email
containing any computer viruses.