[austechwriter] Re: XML - bringing it together

  • From: Melanie Kendell <Melanie.Kendell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:50:37 +1000

Andrea wrote:
> Couple of weeks ago, I was told that QSR is moving to XML and
> could I produce XML documents from now on? I'm starting to think that
> the answer may be no. ... Use of Word is not negotiable
I think you would have to say that if you can't use appropriate tools to
produce XML documents then the answer to "could you produce XML documents"
is a, not negotiable, no.

There is a whole lot of hype about Word being "XML" in the next version but
XML is different things to different people.

What exactly do QSR hope to gain from moving to XML? Only when you know the
answer to that can you begin to investigate the tools you will need to
achieve those goals. From what I've read of Word's XML capabilities your
goals would have to be pretty minimal (eg if your goal is to get away from
proprietary formats it looks like Microsoft are up to their normal tricks).

-Melanie Kendell

-- File: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and
confidential information and are intended for the named
addressee only.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately.
Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or
lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in error.  It
is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any
attachments for viruses.