[austechwriter] Re: Word v. XML

  • From: "Peter G. Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:53:42 +1000

Tracey.Simon@xxxxxxxx:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:17:39 +1000, you wrote:
> Hi John,
> We used to use DocBook. I think a good place to start is putting together=
> sample document ..
> convert  a not too long version of one of your manuals to xml.. examine=
 the
> Data structures carefully. Document analysis is all important. Then think
> about whether you should write yr own DTD. XMLSpy has this handy function
> whereby you can generate a dtd from some xml content.
> very Neat. Sorry re: messiness - I'm hurriedly writing this, so no=
 grammar
> chk pls.

1. I agree that the XMLSpy DTD generator is handy, and have used it to save
a few problems.

2. A word of warning, however:  don't use it at the last minute and expect=
solve all problems, particularly if you want a DTD that applies to more than=

one XML file in your collection/sample.    The trick is to swot up a little=
 on
DTD structures so that you can generalise and debug generated DTDs.
In particular, this tool (and a few other generators I've seen) works by
default by enumerating the details of acceptable contents of various=
 elements.
This makes the DTD correct for the sample XML file provided, but not
necessarily correct for another file with similar but slightly different
characteristics.   Hence you need to know when and how to replace
enumerated element contents with either a generalised content spec such as
CDATA or PCDATA or an extended pattern of OR'd items in a list..

Still v.useful to have, though, for all that...

> Good luck, this Quickref guide is a handy little intro doc .. also=
 checkout
> http://www.w3schools.com/

Again I agree -- this is a really good source of tutorial and Q&A testing
material for a number of "languages" or language specifications..
Not to be missed.

-Peter G. Martin,
Technical writer, Proxima Technology