[austechwriter] Re: The overwork phenomenon

  • From: "HALL Bill" <bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:06:42 +1000 (EST)

Christine,

What will call a screaming halt to the time frame/quality contraction is wh=
en significant numbers of people start dying as a result of badly designed =
/ engineered / documented products. This will likely lead to legal actions,=
 company failures and the imposition of stringent standards and regulations=
 comparable to what is happening with accounting firms and regulations toda=
y.

However, electronic workflow and tracking systems in conjunction with produ=
ct data and content management system to provide project and engineering kn=
owledge management and controlled reuse will still allow us to produce more=
 and better documentation in less time and help to enact and enforce the qu=
ality standards.

We certainly proved the value of this technology in the ANZAC Ship Project =
in 2000 when we moved from what was a very smart word processing and file m=
anagement environment to a full content management solution with electronic=
 workflow.=20

By the time we completed migrating our documents into the content managemen=
t environment we had simultaneously achieved the following:

o  author productivity probably more than doubled (difficult to quantify ex=
actly because we didn't have good productivity measurement tools in the bef=
ore situation),=20

o  we achieved very major improvements in quality (measured by the essentia=
l elimination of a variety of different kinds of errors we couldn't prevent=
 in the WP environment, increased standardisation, etc.), and

o  we reduced document authoring and change cycles weeks or months to hours.

The story of the conversion was published in the May 2001 Technical Communi=
cation - http://www.tenix.com/PDFLibrary/91.pdf. Searching Google for Tenix=
 and SGML will find several presentations and other background.=20

Regards,

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering