[austechwriter] Re: "Invisible" Word bookmarks.

  • From: "HALL Bill" <bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:36:28 +1000 (EST)

Melanie,

Having just performed some tests on my big Word hypertext to refresh my mem=
ory.=20

Actually most of Word's hidden bookmarks appear to be set at the link-from =
location when you click a link to go to the referenced location so Word kno=
ws where to open the document when you click back to return to it. Apparent=
ly a new one is set every time you follow the link (or perhaps only if you =
have followed a link in a new environment from the last one - I haven't don=
e the experiments to test this). Most of the rest are redundant table of co=
ntents bookmarks we have been discussing.

How I cleaned them out was to save the Word document to HTML. Open the HTML=
 file in your browser and block copy the document into a new FrontPage docu=
ment. You can't just open the HTML document from FrontPage's Open Dialog - =
M$ KNOWS you want to do your editing in Word, so even if you do the opening=
 from FrontPage the file is opened with Word as the editor. Block copying i=
s the only way I have found that actually allows you to edit Word HTML with=
 FrontPage. Perhaps that is because Billy Gates knows how bad Word's HTML a=
ctually is!

Anyway, once the document is in Front Page almost all of the bookmarks are =
shown with the Flag option between <a></a> link tags. Hovering the cursor o=
ver the <a> tag reveals the attribute value of the bookmark. If the attribu=
te value is a sensible bookmark name you have set, leave it alone. The dud =
ones will generally have arbitrary values of "_Toc999999..." or "_Hlt99999.=
.." for table of contents and return bookmarks respectively. Delete all of =
these.

Again, the only way you can get your document back into the Word environmen=
t is to save it to HTML, open the document with the browser and block copy =
it. Paste it into a new Word document, reapply your Word styles (you get HT=
ML styles by default), and save as a Word document. Why? Windows KNOWS you =
want to edit the document in FrontPage irregardless if you try to open it w=
ith Word.

Why do I use tools like this.........? They are dictated by our IS people a=
s part of our common user interface environment.

As I said previously, if you are writing for the Web seriously consider not=
 using Word at all!

And I will remind Michael of his comments:

"Get real, Word is better than most people realize.

Geez, I do a few little jokes on Word and Microsoft and
everyone rips my head off.

You guys slag off at Word all day (when it you simply don't know how to use=
 a=20
feature so you call it a bug, and nobody bats an eyelid.

Double standards or what!"

My response is Some feature!

Regards,

Bill Hall